Chapter 38

AGENT HASSAN SAT across the wooden table from Machayla in the interrogation room and offered her a smile. She didn’t reciprocate it. Instead she glared and asked “What do you want to know?”

Agent Hassan’s brows shot up to her hairline in surprise. Machayla has never been anything but soft spoken the few times she’d met and spoken to her when Mason was around. But then again, Machayla didn’t know that she was working for the law at that time.

Maybe she’d finally grown a backbone since she’s been away from Mason, Leah thought as her mind went into investigator mode. It was obvious that that monster was beating the poor girl to a pulp every chance he’d gotten.

But whatever the reason for Machayla’s new attitude was, she had to interrogate her and find out what she knew. There was a chance that she’d sing like a canary and cut the agent’s work load in half. “I want to know what your fiancé is up to. I want to know why the officers in this precinct has never thought to interrogate you or question you when Mason’s been a number one suspect in several murder and drug cases. I want to know why you left him and I want to know why you’re so sure that he killed your friend Brandon. Also where does Jason fit in all of this? His name has come up several times in the past weeks and now you’re with him. What the hell is going on?”

She was trained in reading body language and Machayla’s screamed nervousness. “Relax, I’m not going to throw you in jail. I just need some answers,” she said calmly.

Machayla released the elastic band from her ponytail and put a hand through her dark mane. “It’s complicated.”

Leah cocked a brow. “I have time to spare.”

Machayla sighed. “My father, was killed.”

“Yes, I read that,” Leah answered as she thought about the death of Malcolm Daniels, one of the biggest drug lords in the East coast. It was why she first suspected Machayla of working alongside Mason.

“Of course you did,” Machayla continued with a tight smile. “Anyways, I’m sure you know about him being a drug lord.”

“He was the smartest drug lord on this side of America. He’d never been caught with his fingers dirty.”

“Yeah. He was good at hiding his secrets. So good that I just recently found out that my father wasn’t the man that I thought he was. He’d lie to me my whole life and thanks to him, I’m being hunted by another drug lord looking for money he thinks is rightfully his. Money that I inherited from my dear old dad,” she bit out.

Leah’s brows shot up at Machayla’s word. “You never knew?”

“No. I just found that out.”

Leah whistled. Malcolm Daniels desperately tried to protect his only child from the life that he’d led but still somehow managed to throw her to the wolves after his death. But even though her father was part of the drug cartel and trafficking drugs with other lords from different countries, she couldn’t see where Mason fitted into it. There were no connections to the two men. It didn’t make sense. “They caught the suspect who killed your father,” she stated. “One of the cops in this department caught him and was immediately promoted to lieutenant.”

“Right.”

“So, where does Mason Scott fit into this? Unless he was under your father’s thumb as a young drug dealer, there aren’t any connections. That boy grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and I’m sure he wouldn’t have been caught dead selling drugs on the seedy street corners of Miami.”

“You’re probably not going to believe me if I tell you,” Machayla said with a scowl.

“And how would you know what I will and won’t believe Ms. Daniels?”