Chapter 26

JASON FELT THE wind rush out of his lungs as he was suddenly knocked to the ground by another body. Realizing that he missed his target, an angry growl escaped his throat as he started to struggle against the person that tackled him to the ground. “Get off me!”

“Calm the hell down!”

It was Carter and that little fact angered him even more. “What the fuck are you doing?! Let me shoot that son of a bitch!”

“No!”

“You’re on his side?!”

“No!” Carter barked again as he struggled to get the gun out of Jason’s tight grip. “I’m not on his side and you know it!”

“Then why the hell did you stop me from shooting that motherf-?!”

“Because you’re not a goddamn killer!” Carter shot back but before he could register that Jason’s hand had slipped passed his own, the butt of the gun slammed against the side of his forehead causing him to veer back and roll to the ground where he landed next to his angry friend. The side of his head was now bleeding as an excruciating pain took over. “This is what I get for saving your ass?” Carter bit out. “I should’ve let that bullet go right through your fucking chest!”

“Saved my ass from what?” Jason asked gruffly as he pulled himself up on his feet. The only person Carter saved tonight was Mason.

“Take a look around.”

Jason blinked and did just that. The first thing he noticed was the noise. His blood pressure had finally calmed down enough for his ear drums to start functioning properly again and what he heard wasn’t very good. There were people – mostly girls who they considered to be leeches—screaming and running passed him to the safety of their cars.

But two separate scenes were what really had him doing a double take. One was of Eddie on the floor with a handgun next to him, a bloody shoulder and a couple of their crew mates surrounding him AND Tabitha with a… gun?

Confused, Jason turned to Carter who had finally gotten off the floor. “Why d-”

“You held up a gun in front of a guy who had his whole crew behind him. They don’t like you and that was the only reason that they needed to take you out. Eddie pulled out his gun first and Tabitha pulled hers out second. You missed, Eddie missed but Tabs didn’t.”

“I only missed because of you.” Jason retorted darkly.

“Yeah. And Eddie only missed because of her.” Carter growled out as he pointed to Tabitha. “You’re mad. I get it. But think about shit before you do them!”

Jason frowned and said nothing. Instead he took a look behind him and met his brother’s angry and disapproving gaze. He’d screwed up.

                Machayla had no idea what just happened but she was scared shitless. One minute she was being man handled by Mason and in the next she was yanked away from him and thrown to the ground by Jason. There, she watched as the guy that she was caught making out with earlier come close to shooting her abusive fiancé.  But thanks to Tabitha and Carter, he missed. She should’ve been happy that they did get in the middle of Jason’s rage but honestly, they should’ve just let him kill the bastard.

Not because she couldn’t conjure up any empathy for im if he did die but because Jason was now number one on Mason’s hit list. There was no doubt it and that definitely didn’t settle well with her. Machayla was starting to have some sort of feeling for this guy and that meant that seeing him hurt was going to break her heart.