Chapter 3

PULLING UP A few feet away from the where the races were taking place on the deserted US-27 highway, Jason turned off the engine and dropped his head on the steering wheel. His crew should be there any minute now but he was already in such a rotten mood for being stood that he didn’t want to wait for them.

Taking the keys out the ignition, he stepped out of the car and walked the rest of the way towards the crowd of drunks, half naked girls and arrogant jackasses who bragged about their victories against other crews.

Jason wasn’t one to associate himself with anyone in this crowd except for his crew; them, he could actually trust but the others that he raced against were little weasels. They cheated, lied, stole and cheated some more. Either way, Jason always got his winnings when he beat his opponents in the races no matter what. On several occasions his crew would get into fights with others who thought that they were brave enough to test them.

They learned quick.

He walked through the crowd looking for somebody who he deemed worthy of a good challenge. Just as he was ready to give up and settle for a mediocre challenger he spotted Carter and his girlfriend Sierra sitting on the hood of a custom silver and black Audi R8. Jason's brows went up in surprise. The car wasn’t even on the market yet but Carter drove it.

Perks of being a sellout.

He and Carter used to be close friends in high school and started racing together along side Drake, Victor and Brandon until Carter became greedy and joined another crew whose leader was ruthless and of course, loaded.

Nobody knew what he actually did as a day job but he exuded so much power that other racers were scared to mess with his crew… all except Jason and his friends who were known for testing the top dogs of Miami’s underground racing scene.

Before Jason could get within five feet of Carter, he found himself surrounded by Carter’s posse. They all sported an angry scowl in hopes of intimidating him but they quickly realized that it was pointless when he didn’t even bother to acknowledge them. His sight was set on Carter and he was going to get a race out of him whether he wanted to or not. Fortunately, Jason was sure that Carter would agree to his offer. He couldn’t resist a race or a chance to prove he was better for the life of him.

Jason walked right through the crew and stopped in front of a smirking Carter.

“Why if it isn’t my old friend Jason. What can I do this honor boy? You finally changed your mind about joining my crew?” Carter got up from the hood of the car and stood toe to toe with Jason.

“One, don’t call me boy. Two, thanks for the offer but again I'm good! I'm only here for a race… right now.” Jason bit out.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold your horses little buddy. You know the rules to racing me. Watchu putting on the line… boy?” Carter knew what ticked Jason off the most and he reveled in pissing him off. He smiled widely and cocked his head to the side. Jason should’ve been on his side and racing with him but instead he and his brother made the stupid choice of walking away from what they joined the racing world for in the first place: the money.

Jason felt his fingers balling up into a fist. If there was one guy he couldn’t stand, it was Carter. The greedy asshole always wanted something. It was a wonder how he ever became friends with a sellout like him.

The more he thought about it, the more irrate he became. Where was his brother and the other? They should've been here by now. Just then he heard some girls whispering –very loudly- about a few members of his crew. Looking back he saw four cars pulled up side by side and a smile tugged at the side of his lips.