Chapter 32

Victor cocked a brow as he sat in his car and watched Machayla take the initiative to fight off the blond man that held her at knife point. He was but seconds away from rushing out of the car when he saw her twists her attacker’s wrist backwards and bit into it in order for the butterfly knife, which could’ve easily sliced her pretty skin through and through, to fall out of his grip. Victor winced when she rounded on him and her leg went flying into the poor guys testicles and he crumbled to his knees in unimaginable agony.

“She’s not as helpless as I thought,” he muttered to himself as he stepped out of the vehicle anyways. Maybe it was just Mason who she was helpless against. He was impressed by her ability to protect herself if need be. Most women that he knew –excluding Tabitha and Sierra of course—would’ve let their selves get taken instead of facing off their attackers.

“You bitch!”

Victor was close behind her when her attacker tried to lunge for her with no regards to the fact that she was now wielding his own knife in his face. Victor quickly maneuvered around her, kicked her attacker’s legs from under him so he was back on his knees, grabbed him by the back of his hair and slammed his face into the concrete sidewalk.

The sound of a bone hitting cement with a full force and cracking made him want to shudder but as much as he didn’t particularly care for the woman who stood before him, he couldn’t just let her be attacked. After all, he’d always consider himself chivalrous. It was his duty to save damsels, such as her, in distress.

Rising to his full height of 5’10, Victor nudged the man’s shoulder with the tip of his sneaker. He was out cold. Blood seeped between his face and the sidewalk seconds later.

 “Did you ki… kill him?”

His head snapped in Machayla’s direction, a menacing smirked lurking on his handsome face. “You’re the nurse. You tell me.”

She cautiously took a step towards the body and crouched down. Placing two fingers at the side of his neck, she sighed in relief. “He’s definitely going to have one hell of a headache when he wakes up and… you broke his nose,” she finished off while disgust crossed her features as she noticed the blood.

“Only his nose?” Victor asked with a sneaky smirk, “that’s too bad”.

She rose to her feet and gave him an appreciative smile. “Thank you for your help.”

His hazel eyes suddenly hardened. He wasn’t going to be too friendly to her. Not when it was her fiancé that put Brandon in the hospital. For all he was concerned, she was in on all of this. She was working with Mason and he saw her as a threat. A threat he needed to rid his crew of.

If she wanted to run, then what was the point of stopping her? If anything, he’d help her. “Do you need a ride to where you’re going?” He was hoping that he could buy her a train ticket and get her the hell away from them.

She studied him for a few seconds before she shrugged.

“What, cat got your tongue?” He sneered as he took a good look at her in the morning light. He couldn’t deny it even if he wanted but damn it, Mason knew how to pick them. She was a beauty, no doubt about that. It’s no wonder why Jason’s so taken with her. He’d be too if she wasn’t playing for the wrong side.

Her eyes narrowed at him. “No, I don’t need a ride from you,” she snapped.

Fixated on her face, he stepped in closer to her which caused her to take a nervous step back. “Why not?” His tone was mellow, soft but it contradicted the impatience showing in his eyes.