Chapter 12

MACHAYLA DIDN'T KNOW what to say after Jason’s… interesting speech. She was baffled and somewhat confused by him. She couldn’t understand why he suddenly cared about her; someone that he barely knew anything about, someone who no one seemed to care about.

She was alone in this world and truthfully, she would rather keep it that way. The only person she had ever let in treats her like shit! Obviously no one can be trusted unless they were family and Machayla had no family so there wasn’t any way that she was going to let this ridiculously fine but unfortunately delirious white boy get close to her.

She would never forget what his kind did to her and dealing with Mason was almost equivalent to dealing with a white person. There wasn’t any way that she would deliberately stick herself in a situation she swore, she would never get into… But even after reminding herself of those facts, she still felt an attraction to Jason.

 His smoldering green eyes were pleading with her to understand where he was coming from but there was no way that she was going to budge. Any ways, even if she does let him know what was going on with her and her abusive fiancée, what the hell could he do about it?

“You can’t help. Nobody can help Jason. Please just drop it. I appreciate your concern but it’s alright, really.”

He blew out what seemed to be a deep frustrated breath and ruffled the black hair on his head. He then nodded at her and Machayla took that as his way of telling her that he’ll drop the situation.

“I’ll be right back.” He muttered. As he turned around to exit the kitchen Machayla couldn’t help but admire his backside.

“Nice ass.” She whispered to herself.

She turned back to her chicken alfredo and twisted the knob on the stove to simmer. Just when she was about to turn around, a hand slipped around her waist and pinned her against the hot stove.

She immediately knew who it was from the hair that rose at the back of her neck. The stove was starting to sear her exposed skin where her shirt had risen and she whimpered.

“Mason the stove is hot. Can you move?” She asked.

“Well you know the saying, if you can’t handle the heat…” He replied with a laugh.

“Yeah, in this case I don’t think that I had a choice. But seriously” she said a little roughly “the stove is hot and it’s starting to burn. Move.”

Instead of moving away from her, Mason deliberately pressed his body weight onto her back which cause the heat from the stove to actually start to burn her. He leaned forward and she felt his hot breath next to her ears. “You wanna try talking to me like that again Machayla?” He asked gruffly.

Machayla said nothing. She grew an ounce of courage for a few seconds but was quickly regretting her choice.

Mason suddenly grabbed her by the jaw and turned her face to look him in the eyes. “I asked you a question!” He growled.

“N-No.” She answered.

“Smart choice.” He dropped the vice grip that he had on her jaw and moved away from her. She noticed him looking around. “Where’s Jason?”

Her heart gave a quick start. Did he know that Jason was in here talking to her? Did he hear anything? She started to panic.

‘Damn!’

In the mist of her panic, she turned to him and asked “Why?” without even thinking about it.

“The hell you mean why?!” Mason closed the space in between them and glowered down at Machayla.