Chapter 5

“MACHAYLA HURRY UP! You know how my mama gets when we’re late. I’ll be in the car.” Machayla heard Mason shout through house.  She was up in the bedroom getting ready for Sunday dinner with Mason’s parents.

She dreaded having to fake her way around him and his stuck up family but what other choice did she have? He was always threatening her life and parts of her feared that one day, he might actually act on his promises and do it.

Putting her hair up in a tight bun, she grabbed her clutch and smoothed out her two piece black and white skirt suit. She loved wearing black around Mason because she always felt like she was attending a funeral of some sort while being with him.

Quickly making her way down the stairs in her black snake skin peep toe platform pumps, she opened the front door and came face to face with Carter. He grinned down at her and leaned against the door frame. As much as she dislike the guys that she had the unfortunate luck of being around, they were all easy on the eyes.

Carter was the first team member of Carter’s crew when he started it about a year ago. Therefore he was like Mason’s little side kick. He did everything Mason asked and it was pathetic. She didn’t know how Carter’s girlfriend Sierra could deal with a sellout like him but in all actuality, she had more serious things to worry about.

Carter and the rest of the crew would always spend too much time at the house and she really didn’t want to have to deal with their perverted staring and the shortage of food in the house whenever they came around again.

Rolling her eyes at him she walked passed him and heard him whistle. “Glad you’re back where you belong Kayla. I see you still have that tight little body of yours.” He said at an ear shot. She shook her head and stepped into the car.

“What was that?” Mason asked with a frown on his face.

“What was what?” she asked.

“What did Carter say to you?”

“Don’t know. Why don’t you ask him? I wasn’t listening to him.”

“Mhhh alright,” He answered skeptically.

They drove to his parent’s house without saying a word and the minute he parked the car, her heart sunk. She hated his family. The only person who she could stand was his father. He helped her get the scholarship for school and he was genuinely a kind person. He probably had no idea who his son really was.

They stepped out of the car and she looked at Mason from across the car. “Don’t you dare embarrass me!” He snarled.

She nodded and sent out a little prayer to God. Oh how she wish that she could just die. Maybe she’ll piss him off tonight and he’ll do it for it for her. She wasn’t brave enough to commit suicide.

Forcing herself to walk, she followed Mason up to the white victorian like house that was twice as big a Mason's. She didn’t know how they became so rich but all she knew was that they had enough power and money to do whatever they liked.

She stood behind him as he rang the doorbell and a few seconds later his mother opened the door with frown lines on her forehead. “You’re ten minutes late. You know how I feel about tardiness,” she spilled out.

Mason plastered a fake smile on his face. “Sorry mom. We… had a flat.” As he said that, he grabbed onto Machayla’s hand and went about squeezing it till she yelped in pain.

They both turned to her. “I’m sorry I think a mosquito just bit me." His mother looked skeptical so she went about greeting her future mother-in-law. "Hello Mrs. Scott, how are you?”