Chapter 13

On Sunday, Rick and I mutually broke up. Well, I never really considered us boyfriend/girlfriend fully. We agreed that we were best as friends. Him, Dani, and I spent the day rollerskating. It was a nice and fun atmosphere. I can't say I was feeling perfect. Just thinking about Clyde's name upset me. So I tried hard to ignore thinking back to the incident in his car.

Now that it was Monday, I hoped to get my mind strictly on school work. In my one class Dani and I both handed in our money for the trip. I was really excited about that and felt it was taking too long for it to be among us.

"This trip is going to be my well needed vacation." Dani said at lunch.

"I wish I could go." Rick wasn't invited because he wasn't in any of the teacher's classes that were offering the trip.

"I'll send you a postcard." I winked. He gave me a fake smile followed by a frown. I laughed.

The bell rang and we all said our goodbye's before heading to seperate classes. In my next class I spent my time dreading going to the one after. History, the period with Clyde and Julian. I wasn't in the mood to see Clyde. I hadn't even looked at him in lunch. I was a bit afraid, since I did just hit him yesterday and he might want to say some words.

As the bell rang, my heart jumped in anxiety. I made my way slowly to the next class and was happy when Julian was already sitting in the seat beside me. I took a quick glance to the back and noticed that Clyde hadn't come in yet. I had took so long too, hoping to get in after him, not having to cross paths with him.

The bell rang and class had started, the teacher allowing us to work on our projects for the day. He got up to get us a laptop and still, Clyde was a no show. The suspense was getting to me and I couldn't deal with waiting any longer. I wanted to just rip the band aid right off.

"Hey where's Clyde?" I whispered when Julain got back, not wanting to draw attention.

"He left early." He said simply. "Hey what's the deal between you two?" He asked opening the laptop, seeming half caring.

"I hate his guts." I took the laptop from him and opened up powerpoint.

"Why?" He played with his pen, watching me.

"Because he's a stupid, mean, idiot. Nothing new." He laughed at this.

"As long as you don't hate me." He placed the end of his pen in his mouth.

"How could I ever?" I smiled back. He was so easy to talk to.

After school, I walked home, still in a down mood. I would still have to face Clyde another day.

"Alexa!" My mom cheered when I walked in.

"Me!" I cheered back throwing a fist in the air. I then laughed and went over to her.

"You're something else, you know that?" My mom laughed as I plopped down on the couch next to her. She put her arms around me and kissed my forehead.

"Yeah, I know." I cockily said.

"Come to Brenda's house with me." She turned me to face her.

"No thank you." I frowned. She didn't know what happened with Clyde, and I wasn't trying to tell her.

"Don't be like that." She pouted. "Why not? Clyde will be there." She smiled again.

How ironic. That's what was holding me back. "I have a lot of homework." I lied and left.

The next day I did see Clyde but he decided ignoring my presence was the best route to take. I wasn't complaining. The week continued pretty quickly and I enjoyed it. Well to the best of my ability. I was still feeling guilty and despite how mad at him I wanted to be, I just wanted to apologize for what I did. But even though my grudge holding skills weren't that strong, I wouldn't dare try to be his friend again.

I wasn't that stupid. I wouldn't go back into the fire after my second burn.

"Alex!" My mom came into the dining room where I was currently eating a sandwich. It was just a plain PB&J. It was Friday afternoon, and I was planning on going to the mall with Dani for a while.

"Yeah?" I asked as she sat across from me. Why did I have a feeling I wasn't going to like what was going to come out of her mouth.

"I'm having a party tonight. People are going to be here. So will Clyde because his mom wants him here. You can invite Danielle so you won't be too bored, but I expect you to talk to Clyde to. It seems like you've been avoiding him recently." I almost scoffed, she was right on the nose. But why did she feel the need to force me into things? I was old enough to just not want to hang around. And Brenda could just leave him home. ERGH!

My mom got up and left, and I realized I didn't have any say so. Damn her so much sometimes. I groaned and went to put my plate in the sink and headed to my room.

I took out my phone and called Dani. "Hey girly! What's up?" She asked and I could hear family members in the background screaming. "Shut up!" She yelled probably to her little twin brothers. They were 5, adorable, but a handful. I gave her mom so much credit.

"Well the mall is out. My mom is having a house party and I have to be there. Can you come?" I asked getting to the point.

"You want me to sleepover?" She asked happily. She liked getting away.

"Yeah. Clyde's gonna be here and I'm not trying to be stuck with him." I had told her I wasn't his friend anymore during the week and she rolled her eyes at me. She said 'sure' all sarcastically and I just ignored her. I was being serious. 

"Okay chica. But you're going to have to wait a while. I'll be there pretty late. My mom wanted me to actually get her something at the mall, so I'll have to stop there first and find it." She said and I could feel her roll her eyes. She didn't like being the server for her mom.

"Ugh, fine. See ya."

"Bye!" She screamed trying to blow out my eardrum. I hung up wincing in pain. I guess I would have to deal with him for a little. But I could just avoid my mom and ignore him in the process.

Some people started to come in. It wasn't a huge party but, it was pretty lively. Most of the people were primarily my dad's friends, and they talked with volume. There were some tunes playing and I was walking around with a drink in hand. My hair was in a frizzy ponytail, I had no time to wash it, and I wore some jeans and a flowly white top.

My parent's didn't really have fancy parties, it was more of a reunion of friends I guess. I left the kitchen to find my mom talking to Brenda and a few others and I looked over and saw Clyde sitting on the one couch alone, drawing I presumed.

I met my mom's gaze and turned around into the kitchen, pretending I hadn't seen her. I breathed in relief. That was close. I sort of merged into a group of people, acting like I was part of the conversation.

"Alex." I nearly jumped from how close her voice was. "Go sit with Clyde." My mom whispered into my ear. Damn her so much.

"No. I really don't want to. And you can't make me." I whispered back being childish, but I didn't care. I did NOT want to.

"Alex, please don't do this now. You're being rude." She pleaded and I realized she wasn't going to stop until 1 of 2 things would happen. And I was afraid of the second thing happening.

"Fine!" I said angrily and stalked into the living room and plopped down far from him on the same couch. I didn't look in his direction though. I kept my arms crossed around my chest, being really childish.

"It's sad." Clyde had said and I looked over. He was looking down at his sketchbook, but his arm blocked what he was doodling. "I haven't said a thing to you, and you still look like you want to cry." He still kept his gaze downwards.

What he said didn't faze me. I didn't feel like crying at all. But I got up anyways, fearing he would become more hurtful. Or bring up how I had slapped him. I walked away and was actually happy he said that to get me to get up.

The doorbell rang and I went to answer it. "Dani!" I brought her in for a hug I was so excited she was finally here.

"I know. It's amazing to see me. I'm just that awesome." I moved back and pushed her shoulder. She was too much.

"Let's go to my room." I said sternly and she didn't argue. I saw my mom who gave me a face and I decided I'll deal with the consequences tomorrow.

"So what's up with you? Why were you so relieved to see me?" Dani plopped down on my bed looking at the ceiling. I could tell she could use the peace and quiet.

"My mom made me sit next to Clyde and you came in and saved me." I said and layed down on the floor. I used the pillow that was still on the ground from when I threw it at Clyde. I hadn't cleaned yet.

"Don't worry little lady. Just doing my job." She peaked her head over the bed and pretended to tilt an imaginary hat. "I'm so tired." She said plopping back down.

"Same." I said exhausted. I ignored the party going on outside my door and soon found sleep on its way. Dani and I both could use it.