Special Chapter

"At some point in our lives, we will question everything. Kung bakit ganito, kung bakit ganyan. Even I, thought of that. Kahit na pinipilit ko na strong ako, I was just pretending. You see, our social status in life is not our identity, it is not supposed to control us. Take me, for example. I was a peasant. Yes, hindi man lang unskilled worker. Peasant.

It was a category I made for myself. Wala eh. Ni singkong duling wala ako sa bulsa ko, sino ba naman ako para ma-categorize pa sa isang The Hierarchy, hindi ba? So what I did is that I made my own category. Wala namang nagsabing bawal e, you just have to work your way in kasi if you don't, sino pa ang gagawa noon para sa'yo?

Was it hard? Oo naman, syempre. It was hard. But then again, it was not the hardest thing that happened to me. That time, my Papa was diagnosed with cancer. I didn't have the luxury to think of myself, my family was my purpose. They are the reason I exist, kaya kinaya ko. And I did.

What did I do? I was myself the whole time.

Hindi ko pinilit yung sarili ko. I did not dream to become a Noble, nor even an unskilled worker. I was just me, and I was contented with it. If you do that, you will have less trouble. You don't have to exhaust yourself trying your hardest to become someone you're not. Trust me, being true to yourself is the only easy way out that is actually worth it."

May nagtaas ng kamay sa isa sa mga nakaupo sa harapan ko, "Miss Thalia, how does it feel po? That you're restaurant is the only restaurant in the Philippines to make it to the TIMES top 10 world class restaurants in the world?"

"Amazing. It's surreal, that even though I've reached it two years ago, up to this point, everything still feels surreal." Nakangiting sabi ko habang inaalala ko lahat ng mga napagdaanan namin sa restaurant. "But of course, everything would not be possible if I didn't have the most sought after chef of the Philippines, Chef Sebastian as my partner."

"Again, Miss Thalia, congratulations sa achievement mo. You've made the whole country proud." Nakangiting sabi ng nagiinterview. "So now, let's make it a bit personal. You said your dad was diagnosed with cancer. Can we ask: how is he?"

"He's doing fine actually. He's been my number 1 supporter, borderline stage dad na. Two years after my graduation we began seeing improvements, and up to this day he is, as said by his doctor, cancer free."

"You have a younger brother, yes?"

Tumango ako. "Will you tell us about him?"

"Well, I'm glad to. Tom-tom, hmm... well, he's actually studying at Western Heights now. And unlike his ate, he's fit to be included in The Hierarchy." Sagot ko, thinking about how far we have come now. "I guess my takeaway from everything I have said is that, family is everything. Kung wala sila ngayon, wala ako dito. Kagaya nga ng sinabi ko, they are my purpose and they drove me to be the best version of myself."

Ngumiti yung reporter. Another one raised his hand, "Any plans on getting married?"

Natawa ako, "Hmmm... parang wala naman po atang connect yan sa cookbook ko." Sagot ko, patukoy sa cookbook na nilo-launch ko in partnership with one of my bestfriends, Sebastian, who unfortunately was not able to attend today due to an emergency meeting. 

Magpi-pitong taon na kami ni Asher. Maraming nangyari sa loob ng pitong taon na yon. Maraming pagbabago ang nangyari sa mga buhay namin, maraming dumating, maraming nawala, maraming nag-iba, subalit masasabi kong sa lahat ng iyon, kaming dalawa ni Asher, pareho parin.