Playbook: Scrimmage

Conditioning was cool or whatever but now the only thing I care about is tryouts. One of the  only reasons I bother to keep my grades up. The game is life! Since tryouts are damn near here I need Kevin more than ever but ever since that day we went to the movies he's been pretty distant. I don't get it. Whenever I go over to his house for me to get his coaching it's not the same as before. I mean yeah he coaches me but he hasn't been as harsh or impatient. Most people would think that was a blessing but I don't feel like I'm getting any better. Whenever I miss a shot he says dumb shit like "try again, you'll get it" or "good job for trying" or "one more time I think you'll get it". WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!?!?!?! I need him to say what he used to say "What the hell was that?!?!" and "OH MY GAAAAWWWWWD!!!!!" and "when's the last time the ball went though the net?" and "if I had a dollar for every shot you just missed, I'd buy LeBron and Curry" and even the simple "AIR BALL!!!!!"

What could I have done?
Did I even do anything wrong?

***

OH MY GAWWWWD I HATE MATH! a whole hour listening to him talk about x's and y's like Y would I wanna find my X -_-

As I switch out my books for my next class I feel the presence of another body. I turn around to see Darrin smirking.

"hey" he said while giving me the little head nod thing. "what" i respond smiling. "so I think you wanna go out with me later" he assumes. "what would make you think that?" I question him with a demure look. "stop playin with me" "not playin" I state closing my locker.

He presses me against my locker and leans in leaving about an inch of space between us. I can feel his slow breathes against my face. My heart is pounding as Darrin stares into my eyes. Trying to avoid eye contact I look to the side only to see Kevin with Devin and Daniel. Luckily I don't think he sees me. I cover my face with my hands until Darrin lowers my hands to resume his flirting; however I'm not looking at him, I look towards Kevin again only to see this time he's noticed me. I see some type of jealous, hurt, sad, and mad mix in his eyes.

Looking at his eyes made me realize why things haven't been the same. Darrin. I don't know why Kev's been acting weird since I started talking to Darrin, it's not like I don't have guy friends. He never acts weird when I'm with Devin, Daniel or Dean. Even when I dated Lucas he never acted this way.

ding ding ding ding

"Uh I'll see you later" I told Darrin as I left to go to class

***
English. The language I speak fluently in yet I barely get a B. I'm so bored in this class I need to get out of here.

"Daysi can I go to the bathroom" I asked. (a/n at my school we never really say mr/ms to our teachers or principals so yeah) "take the pass" she instructed me. I grabbed the pass and left.

Walking around I see Devin and call out to him. As he approaches me I wonder if I should ask him about Kev. Fuck it why not.

"whash poppin yn" he said giving me a side hug. "hey uh can I ask you something" I ask him. "What'd I do?" he asked you confused. "not you, me....or Kevin....i don't know" "wait what?" "What's been up with Kev? he's been acting pretty off lately." "nothing" Devin exclaimed impossibly fast. "What do you know?!?!?!" "I cant really say" "what do you mean you cant tell me?!?!? my bestfriend switched up on my outta nowhere and you cant tell me why?" "look he'll be fine he just needs to undertand" "understand what?"

"WHAT DID YOU TELL HER?!?!" I heared a voice say. I turn around to see Daniel stampeeding towards us. "Nothing" devin yelled back. "why wont anyone tell me! what's the big secret?" "we can't tell you" they said in unison. "IF YALL DON'T FUCKIN TELL ME IMMA GO GET KEVIN OUTTA CLASS AND ASK HIM-" I began to threaten them. "good idea go ask kevin" daniel said proudly. I lowered my voice and finished my threat, "I'm gonna ask him if he knows who leaked his number, who knows where his favorite hat went, and where his childhood teddybear went."

Both of their eyes widened and I remained silent waitng for their answer. "I guess you're just gonna have to ask Kevin" Devin boldly stated. I nodded and walked passed them. "Where are you going?" Daniel asked. "To disrupt Kevin's learning by making a scene to ask him a couple questions" I announced strutting to his class.