3.1. Escape (Imorah)

Imorah woke from her dream-like trance with a start. They're looking for me! she bolted upright. "Computer, what time is it?"

"The time is H34.8."

"Oh Blessed One!" Imorah screamed quietly, and felt her stomach do a summersault. "They're convening for circle in only 1.2 hours!"  

She jumped out of bed, and jammed all her belongings into her makeshift bag, shoved the library book under the bed, and ran to the door. "Computer, lights out," she commanded, and the lights immediately turned off. The room was cast in the soft blue of the emergency lights.

Oh my Blessed One! Imorah swore silently. She knew exactly where she needed to go now — to the Lower Reaches — but she had two problems: I hate the lower reaches! And how on earth am I supposed to get there? she fumed, feeling trapped in her predicament.

Imorah quietly opened the door and peered into the hallway. Her breath caught in her throat — she could hear footsteps of someone coming down the hall.

She panicked. She didn't know what to do — it was too late — she couldn't run.

She quietly closed the door and started looking for somewhere to hide. Under the bed!

She shoved her bag out of sight and was about to drop down when she heard it behind her.

Someone knocked on the glass door behind her.

She froze, imagining Brother Thom standing there with a posse of his guards.

She gulped and turned around — it wasn't Brother Thom — it was a small person, probably a woman, but Imorah couldn't see their face.

The unknown figure opened the door and said, "Imorah, is that you?"

Relief flooded Imorah's chest, "Nita? What are you doing here? Computer, lights on!"

Nita came into the room, "Imorah, I was looking for you." Nita's face was ashen grey with worry. "I'm so glad I found you. I was so worried, I thought...." Nita stopped, and put her hand to her mouth.

Suddenly, Imorah wondered if Nita knew, if she had any inkling about what was going on.

Finally Nita contined, "Why are you in the dark, Imorah?"

Imorah didn't know what to say, and couldn't lie. She raised her shoulders and shook her head. She felt tears coming, and tried to choke them back. After a moment, she blurted, "Nita, I don't want to go."

Nita came forward and embraced the girl, "Oh sweet one," she said. "I understand how hard it must be. I wouldn't want to leave The Shelter either — everything I've ever known. I'm so sorry."

Imorah cried — feeling guilty because Nita thought she was afraid of leaving to become an officer in the Praetoria, when in fact she was running away. She swallowed her tears, choking them back and nodded. "I love you," she said quietly to Nita.

"Blessed be, Imorah, I love you too," and the kind woman embraced Imorah again. "I can't imagine how scared you must be. Shall we pray, Imorah?"

Imorah bit her lip, stifling back tears. "Yes, let's pray very quickly, and then please, will you give me a few minutes here to say goodbye... to my Grandmother? I don't have much time."

"Yes, of course, but first, I need to give you... a present."

"A present?" Imorah was taken aback. The Family didn't give presents. 'Life is our gift,' Great Father Mercer always said.

"Yes, this is why I came to find you before Convocation. To say goodbye and give you this." Nita held up something Imorah hadn't noticed she'd had in her hands. It was a purple pouch. "It's for you, this being your birthday."