18.1. 2447W12

Everyone was deflated as we watched the boat take off. The children onboard had already been ushered somewhere, and there was no sight of them.

I couldn't help but thinking that if we had gone straight to 2447 west 12th, then Michael would still be here. I hadn't thought I'd be saying goodbye to him today.

I felt numb, just empty. My books were gone, Michael was gone.

Nike had her arm around me, and was patting my back, like she knew how hard it must be for me. I had to admit the gesture felt nice. Suddenly she seemed like the strong one in this relationship. I was destroyed.

Money limped his way over and said, "What now?"

I scowled at him. He looked bad, and needed care, but I wasn't in the mood. I really needed some space to think. "You can all go home now," I said to the lot.

One young woman was crying — the mother of the young boy. The guards had pushed her off the platform, and she was on the ground, crying.

No one moved a foot.

I rubbed my forehead with frustration. "Look, I'm not taking care of you. Do you understand?"

The young girl who'd just lost her son started bawling harder.

"Oh jesus!" I said, throwing my hands in the air. "Come here," I said to her, walking over to her. "Come here, everything's going to be alright,"

The girl was crying in my arms, and everyone was just standing there, waiting for me to make a move.

"No!" I yelled. "Do you understand? I'm not taking care of you!"

The girl started crying again, and I rubbed her shoulders. "Shhh....not you...." Oh jeez, I thought. I'm really in a pickle now.

"You understand I don't have any food — I can't take care of you. Go away!" I yelled.

One kid kicked a rock and turned around, started walking away, but the rest just sat there, staring up at me with their huge child eyes. Skin and bones, dirty as hell, and all looking to me for the answers.

I looked up at the sky. Why are you doing this to me, God? I asked. It wasn't an honest question. I know there ain't no god, but it felt appropriate in the moment. I actually had no freaking clue what to do.

I looked at Money, who used to be their leader. He didn't look like a leader anymore, but I had to try. "Money," I said, "You have to take care of these kids. Do you have any food?"

He looked down and avoided answering.

"Come on — you've got all those extra pounds on you. You must have a cache somewhere near here."

"Cash? I've got not cash, but I've got food," he said, finally looking up. "I'll give it all to you if you take me with you, don't leave me alone," He fished around under his shirts and held up a key.

I put a cheery tone in my voice and said, "Okay, kids, Money is going to need your help. You go with him and get some food, and I'll be back later."

"No, no, no!" Money protested. "I'm going with you. You can have the food." He took the key off his neck and threw it underhand to me. "Here, have it."

I groaned, and looked at the key in my hand.

I needed to go to 2447 west twelfth. We were on Main, at east sixth, and there were about twenty-six blocks and about ten kids between me and my destination. I looked at the group of kids, most of them in their early teens, except Ocean and Money, who were in their early twenties.