Visitors

At some point, Liran heard Hannah speaking softly to Grandmother. He cracked one eye and confirmed that it was still dark outside. The semi-transparent animal skins turned orange during daylight. Perhaps it was very early morning.

"I saw them when I climbed the hill."

"Who?" the Grandmother asked.

The urgency in her voice woke Liran up a notch. What were they talking about?

"People from the village, I think," said Hannah.

"How far are they?"

There was no answer.

Liran opened his eyes fully, and saw that the Grandmother was staring at him. "What's going on?"

"You need to leave right now," she said, and pointed to the sleeping girl curled up next to a long-dead fire. The room was neat and orderly, and lit by a small oil lamp. There was no sign of the experience they'd had last night.

It might have all been a dream, except for the warm ball of fuzziness in Liran's belly and a dull ache behind his eyes.

"And take her with you," the old lady said.

Liran lay back down and stared at the ceiling, groaning inwardly. He had just woken up. He wanted some tea and maybe a piece of bread to dip in it. He felt out of sorts and not at all prepared to leave the yurt.

"Now!" Grandmother said urgently.

Liran sat up. His mind was foggy, but it was starting to get through. This was serious.

"They can't see her! And they can't see you! Get up right now and get out."

Liran scrambled, finally alert to the danger. People from the village were coming, and of course they could not see him or Imorah. He quickly started an inventory of everything he needed to take with him. It was likely that they would not come back. His flesh broke out in goosebumps at the thought. Was this it?

He began to gather his belongings, as well as that of the girl, while Grandmother woke her up.

* * *

Imorah was rudely awoken by the Grandmother, who was simultaneously pushing her, and pushing something into her hand, while saying softly but firmly, "Wake up, wake up."

Imorah found it difficult to open her eyes. Her mouth was full of marbles and for a moment she thought she might be in the Shelter.

"You must leave right now," the old woman said.

Imorah sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What?"

"People are coming. You must leave right now! Go with Liran and leave right now."

Imorah was confused, and sat there blankly, not moving.

"Up, up, up. Get up, Imorah. Quickly!" She pulled Imorah's hand.

Imorah looked down at her hand, and could finally see that she was holding a wrapped cloth. She wondered briefly what it was. Then she heard a noise and a soft breeze.

Liran was at the door, holding it open. He had Imorah's bag on his shoulder.

Imorah frowned.

"Come," he said, shaking his hand at her.

Imorah stood up, wobbly with sleep. Her heart was pounding with fear. "What's going on?"

"We've got to be quick," the boy said. "People are coming and they can't see us."

The Grandmother was busy with something, hurriedly packing a bag.

Imorah stood still a moment, catching her bearings. She watched as Liran reached down and hugged the little girl, who was crying. They spoke a few words and then he motioned again to Imorah, "Come now!"