15.3. Third Time (Liran)

Author's Note:

Sorry, the timing's a bit off here. 

Meanwhile, earlier in Liran's story before the Praetoria are searching for Imorah and Tashin....

Liran awoke in the dark, and tried to move, but his chest felt like it was wrapped in something tight. Where am I? He was confused. What happened?

Then he heard a noise close by his head - "Hello?" he called out.

Akim groaned, "Ahhh"

That's when Liran realised where he was. He remembered a flash of blue and the eyes behind it - his father.

"Ohhh" Akim moaned in pain.

Liran sat up, his head spinning. He scanned the room. His father was gone. Phiona was gone. There was Akim on the floor, unable to move. Liran stood up with difficulty, holding his chest. He hobbled over to the injured man, and helped him sit up.

Akim winced - there were some serious injuries, perhaps some broken ribs. "What happened?" Akim croaked. He was covered in blood. "Who was that man - he took me by surprise. I.... I thought it was Silas. Phiona... Where is Phiona?" He spoke in a mumble, clearly in shock, trying to look around, be on attention, but he didn't have it in him.

"Shh... just relax," Liran said. "Phiona is gone," he explained. "It was my father. Here, let me help you."

Akim said nothing, and only closed his eyes as Liran took off his scarf and wrapped it around Akim's head, putting pressure on the wound. It had mostly stopped bleeding, leaving a nasty, blood encrusted gash. "Your father?" he finally said.

"Ayah. He shot you and then he shot me."

Akim groaned in pain and then said weakly, "Hamdulallah, the phaser was only set to stun."

Suddenly it all made sense - why he was still alive. The gun was only set to stun. "So you never meant to kill me then?" Liran asked, smirking at the injured man.

"Of course not. How many times do I have to tell you that we're not monsters." Akim sat up and winced. He grabbed his head and moaned. When the pain subsided, he said, "How did your father find us?" Akim asked finally. "How is that possible?"

"I don't know - he took Phiona and... he shot me." Liran saw the coldness in his father's eyes. His father didn't know the weapon was set to stun, and he had shot them anyways. "I don't know how he found us, but he seemed to know I'd be here. And I swear - I never communicated with him - I swear, you gotta believe me."

Akim dropped his head and said quietly, "My dream."

"Your dream?"

Akim looked up at Liran. "Ayah, I told that girl in my dream where we were and what we were doing - she compelled me. She must be working with your father."

Liran scowled at the thought of his father working with a young woman.

Then suddenly he heard the sounds of officers outside in the distance. They were looking for the missing men.

Akim looked at him, "You better run, Liran. I sent an emergency communication before your father shot me. They will have our exact location."

"But what about you? You lost Phiona - Silas will murder you! Why don't you come with me?"

"Me?" Akim tried to laugh, but ended up moaning in pain.

"You know you make a lousy officer - ." Liran smiled at the man who had dried blood all over his face.