Imorah's dream, Part 2

I fall until I'm very very far away from that room and from Sally. I fall to a place where no one can find me. When I open my eyes, I'm on a couch, in an apartment in Brooklyn.

"Imorah!" Old Shalon squeals. "I'm so happy you made it."

"Shalon," I breathe. "What's going on?"

"No time," she says. "You need to find him."

"Who?" I ask, and before the word has left my lips, I know who.

She nods and picks up a biscuit. "Darling, that was close," she says, dipping it in her tea. "That was so damn close. We thought we lost you. Now ski-daddle--get out of here! Find him!" She takes a bite of her biscuit and smirks. "Go find your lover boy." 

I shake my head at her. "He's NOT my lover boy."

"Oh shush!" she says, rolling her eyes and waving me away. Biscuit crumbs go flying. "Now get out of here!"

I close my eyes, feeling angry and embarrassed. But also strangely giddy.

When I open my eyes, I'm face to face with Liran. Not my Liran, but future Liran. He's lying in bed. He's sleeping.

I'm lying next to him. Can this be any more awkward?

He opens his eyes. Shocked and fully conscious. "Imorah? What are you doing here?" He rolls away from me, and jumps out of bed.

I follow him and look around. We're in a room, a very simple room with only a bed, a closet and a desk.

I wonder where he is right now. Was he dreaming about this place, or does he live here in his waking life? In any case, by his reaction, he's definitely not expecting me. "Don't you know why I'm here?" I implore. "You should know this stuff!" I feel incredibly frustrated. Why didn't they tell him I was coming? I want to scream.

"Know what?" he asks, confused.

"Argh.. I...." That's when I realize that I don't actually know why I'm here. I feel this impending callamity, and I know I need to do something, but can't for the life of me remember what. Why am I here? The dream has taken hold of me again. I'm losing consciousness. Is this Sally? Is she trying to get me back?

"What am I doing here?" I ask him.

"I don't know. But think! Think! If you're here it must be an emergency, I'd guess."

An emergency. I take a deep breath and will myself to remember. Where was I? Not where was I before I came here, but where was I before I fell asleep? I can't seem to remember that. 

"Think about the last thing you DO remember," Liran urges.

I cock my head at him. Did he hear my thoughts.

"Ayah, I heard you. Just do what I'm telling you. What DO you remember?"

I go back. My Grandmother. Escaping The Shelter. My first day above ground. Meeting Tashin. Liran! Liran. Right--we're travelling together to The City.

"Dit'teh!" I scream at last, and I have no idea where that came from. Who the hell is Dit'teh?

"Dit'teh?" Liran groans. "No, oh crap!" he laments. "You've been shot. This is when you were shot."

"Shot? What are you talking about?"

"Nevermind. Don't think about that now."

"What do you mean, nevermind. What do we do? I'm here because you're supposed to help me. What should I do?"