Leaving the lab

Imorah chased after him. He was at the wall opening another door she hadn't noticed before. "What are you doing?" she asked.

He pulled something out of the cupboard—a strange black suit. "I'm getting ready to go. Here—," he handed her the light, rubbery outfit. "Put this on under your galabya."

"What is it?" Imorah was confused.

"It's a desert suit. My grandfather invented it, apparently." He wasn't interested in talking—he was packing a bag from various drawers and cupboards in the room. He'd obviously been here before because he knew where everything was.

"Well?" he said, looking at her. "Are you going to change? I want to leave now."

Imorah jerked to life, confused and excited at the same time. Shouldn't they stay and ask the computer more questions? Shouldn't they prepare a bit more? They didn't even know how to enter the Gate to the Library or what they could expect from John. But now Liran was on the move, committed, and seemingly determined to follow through, she didn't want to question him. Plus, he was a guy, and he seemed to think that this placed him in charge of things. Imorah frowned, but scurried back into the larger room to change in private. When she came back, Liran was standing on the stairs, ready to exit, with a large bag strapped to his back.

"Ready?" he asked, but before she'd even answered, he walked down the steps and disappeared under the holographic projection.

"Wait!" she yelled, a sinking feeling in her stomach. They couldn't bring the computer with them—from here on out, they would be alone. Imorah realized she would be completely dependent on Liran. She gulped. She was hunry—she hadn't eaten anything since very early morning. "Wait!" she yelled again. She raced around the room, gathering her stuff. The book, her bag with change of clothes.

He popped his head through the hologram. "What's taking so long?"

Imorah groaned. "So long! Just give me a minute to get my stuff!"

He rolled his eyes. "Fine—I'll meet you in the entrance up above. Don't keep me waiting."

Imorah rolled her eyes. "I just—."

But he ducked his head down under the holo and was gone.

"Argh," Imorah groaned. "It was too fast. She had a bad feeling they were forgetting something important. "Computer?" she asked, feeling frantic.

"Yes, Imorah?"

"Is there something we're forgetting? Something that Phiona or Adell might have wanted us to know or have?"

18 April 2017

"Yes, Imorah, there is a message for you from Adell."

"What is it?" Imorah gasped, grateful that she'd stayed. "Play it!" She looked to the exit, wondering if Liran would come back again, annoyed.

A voice came on the system—an aged, male voice. It was Adell. "Follow the rabbit. Follow the rabbit. Follow the rabbit. Follow the rabbit. Follow the rabbit."

Imorah was confused. What the heck? "What does it mean?" she yelled over the booming voice.

The computer didn't hear her and the recording continued. "Follow the rabbit, follow the rabbit. Follow the rabbit."

"Computer!" Imorah screamed with all her might. "Stop the recording!"

"But the recording wouldn't stop and the computer didn't respond.

Imorah wondered if the computer had malfunctioned. She couldn't tand to stay a minute longer. She grabbed her things and left. 

-

-

---

-

-

Author's Note:

Hi guys! So happy to have you all along for the ride. It means SO much to me to have this group of dedicated readers who are truly reading the story for fun and not because I've paid you! haha!

Thanks for all the support and patience -- not only waiting for me to start posting again, but also for putting up with the rough writing. You can see that I'm really rolling along.