21.2. Play to win

Imorah was about to crawl back to the main cave, when she suddenly had an idea.
She could find her book and then climb up to the surface through this back exit, and pretend she was walking around outside, just as he had done when he'd stolen the book from her.
She needed to find the book. She needed to see it. She wouldn't take it just yet; it wasn't enough time to get away, but she needed to see it.
She turned around and went deeper into the cave. Her heart was racing and the blood pounded in her head. This was incredibly dangerous — if she was caught it would be ruinous. The trip had made them closer, and he was finally starting to trust her. If he found out it was all an act, she didn't know what he would do, but she was sure that it would be painful.
A memory — a wisp of a memory — washed through her. Something she'd learned in her dream.... What had happened to his wife? A shiver of fear ran through her. Had he killed her?
She decided she would only spend a few minutes searching for the book. Just a few minutes
The light dispersed as she went deeper, but her eyes easily adjusted. Years of playing alone in the Lower Reaches had prepared her for this day, she realised.
She maneuvered past some stalagmites that hung from the ceiling here, and was greeted by a steep drop — the cavern ended in a black abyss.
She looked down into the darkness — there was no telling how far it went. She picked up a rock and dropped it — nothing. No sound.
Finally, she heard it hit the bottom. Where does this lead?
She looked around in the darkness and realised there was no route forward. She turned around and watched dust motes fall through the daylight streaming into the passage behind her. Where had he hidden the book?
It must be here somewhere... she turned in circles in frustration, checking every crook and cranny. There were no other routes in the cave, only the drop.
She went back to the drop, and got on her hands and knees, and felt down into the black hole. There was a tiny ledge at arm's length. Was her book down there? Did he climb down there? She got on her belly and leaned into the darkness, leaning on the ledge for support.
There was nothing down there. She needed a light if she would try to get down, as the ledge wasn't big enough to climb onto.
She groaned and rolled over, breathing hard with her effort, staring at the ceiling above her. A stalagmite was directly over her head, pointing down at her with malice. Although she knew it wouldn't fall on her face, she shuffled over slighty to avoid it.
That's when she saw a shadow. There was a shadow up there, indicating some sort of alcove. Her heart started beating as she realised she'd found the hiding spot. She'd only found it by some stroke of luck.
She stood up on tippy-toes and reached above her, but it was no use — there was no way she could reach it.
Looking around her, she saw a knobby outcropping of rocks, worn smooth from being used as a stepping stone. She pulled herself up onto the narrow ledge and was barely tall enough to look into the alcove.
There it was — her book — along with many other items, but Imorah only had eyes for her book. It was safe and sound. She breathed a sigh of relief.
She reached over to the alcove to grab it, but it was just out of reach. She strained even further... then she heard a voice.
"Imorah?"
Tashin was calling her.
Panicked, she slipped from the ledge onto the floor in a painful, tangled heap, but didn't stop long enough to check for injuries. She raced back to the crevice where the light streamed in and climbed up to the surface.
The change from darkness to daylight was excruciating and her eyes immediately watered up. In a panic, she started running towards the front mouth of the cave. Then she stopped. What would she say? Why had she left?
Without another thought, she ran to the wishing tree instead. She could see it in the distance. He would find her, but she could make up some story.
She knew where her book was, and that was all that mattered.

*  *  *

Liran had arrived at the wishing tree and was quietly eating a meal bar, when he heard a noise. He stood up and looked out over the canyon. Had his father spotted him? His heart started beating.
He anxiously scanned the horizon — yes, there was someone approaching, running towards him. Without thinking, he hid behind one of the large roots of the tree.
Moments later, he heard the person approach. They were breathing hard from running, and repeating over and over, "Great guardian protect me, great guardian protect me...."
It was a girl's voice and she spoke perfect Standard.
What the hell? Liran wondered who on earth was out here with his father. She was obviously terrified.
He felt silly hiding, and wondered if he should stand up.
Just then he heard his father's voice. He was calling out, and by the tone, he was angry. "Imorah!" he shouted. Was that the girl, Imorah?
What was he doing with a girl like this?
Liran peeked from behind the root at the girl. She was young, maybe fifteen or sixteen. She was pale.
Liran gulped.
She was so pale that it could mean only one thing: she wasn't a desert-dweller. She continued her mantra.
"Imorah!?" Tashin screamed.
"I'm here, Tashin!" the girl yelled.
"Imorah?"
"Yes!" she yelled. "I'm here." Liran watched the girl, down below, sitting on a stone that was curled up in the roots. She had a piece of paper in her lap, one of the rolled up pieces of paper that had fallen from the wishing tree.
What is she doing? Liran wondered. And how on earth did my father get a woman like her? Liran's blood began to boil, assuming this was his father's new wife. The bastard! I'll kill him! Liran choked on his anger and bit his knuckles to stop from coughing.
He watched as his father arrived. "What you doing here?" his father asked the girl in broken Standard.
"I came to make a wish," he heard the girl say.
Liran narrowed his eyes. She was lying. She had been running for her life. What was she doing?
"Hmmph," his father replied. "Get back inside. It's dangerous out here." He grabbed the girl roughly and pulled her from the rock.
"Ow!" she screamed out. "That hurts."
He pushed the girl to the ground. "That hurts?"
The girl nodded and rubbed her arm.
"It will hurt more the next time you leave. A woman must ask permission to leave the house. Understand?"
The girl started crying as he pulled her up again, grabbing her by the arm. "I'm sorry!" she screamed. "Please let me go!"
Liran didn't know what to do. He hadn't expected this... strange situation. His heart was beating. What should he do?
Finally he stood up. "Father," he called in their language.
The girl and the man stopped dead in their tracks. Then slowly, his father turned around.