19.3. Phiona

Tashin was holding a black object that looked like a black, glass head.

"What's that?" Imorah asked.

"Phiona," he answered with a grin.

Imorah's eyes went wide and she forgot about her meal bar. She moved over and touched the cold, chipped and scratched black glass.

Tashin stared up at her, grinning like a fool.

"Does it work? What do you have to do to make it work?"

"Well," he grabbed the heavy case that Imorah had carried, "You put her head on this base." He clunked it down.

Imorah watched in fascination as the black head lit up, a row of yellow lights on her forehead. They sat there in the shadows in the cave, with these strange yellow lights pulsing through.

"Hello Tashin," a female voice spoke out.

Imorah recognised this voice. "Computer?" she asked. It sounded just like the computer in the library.

"I am a type of computer, although I go by the name of Phiona," the computer responded.

"The computer in my library has the same voice as you," Imorah said.

"My voice has been used in many models," the relic responded.

"Look," Tashin interrupted. "Enough of the chit chat. I want to know why the Praetoria are looking for you."

"And where my grandmother is," Imorah added.

Tashin gave her a look that said, 'shut up,' and Imorah shrank back.

"Tell us what you know," Tashin ordered.

"You cannot force me to tell you anything."

"Argh," Tashin groaned, and kicked a rock near the fire. It sent some pots flying across the room. "You're the same bitch you were back then."

"And you are the same violent, dangerous man," the relic responded.

"What!? You rude — ." Tashin was lost for words.

Imorah hid her smile, but too late — Tashin was glaring at her. The relic wasn't anything like the computer in the Shelter. It had... personality.

"Tell us!" he ordered the computer. "Why is the Praetoria looking for you?"

"I refuse to tell you anything, Tashin."

"Ahh!" Tashin lifted a rock at his feet and lifted it above his head.

"Wait!" Imorah yelled. "Please wait!" He was about to destroy the thing.

Tashin brought the rock down into his lap and peered at Imorah through narrowed eyes, clearly about to take his anger out on her if she didn't explain herself properly.

"You didn't steal this in order to destroy it, did you?" Imorah asked. "May I please try asking it some questions?" she asked politely. "I've interacted with this type of computer for many years."

"You think you're so smart, you go ahead and try." He got up and walked to the mouth of the cave, and sat down, sideways, one eye outside and one inside.

"Hi computer, I'm Imorah," she began.

"Hello human, pleased to meet you," the black voice warbled.

Human? "My name is Imorah," she explained.

"And my name is Phiona," the object responded.