Chatting about The Shelter

"Ayah, I like to hear about these places that I'll never get to see. You know what I mean?"

"Yes, yes I do. I know exactly what you mean. I mean," she swalled another bite—perhaps a bit too hastily, because she gulped and her eyes bulged. She shook her head, and clutched her neck.

Alarmed, Liran leaned forward—"Are you okay?"

She only made a gurgling sound in reply. Her face was red and scrunched up. Her eyes were wide with terror. She scratched at her neck and shook her head.

Without thinking, Liran lunged into action. He stood up, grabbed her hand and pulled her into a standing position, then he swung her around and gave her a big wallop on her back with both of his hands balled together.

A small piece of meal bar flew out of her mouth and onto the ground.

"Oh my Guardian!" Imorah cried. She clutched her throat and bent over, taking deep gulps of air. It sounded strange, like an animal.

"Are you okay?" Liran asked.

"I..." she gasped. "I think so." She gasped hoarsely, catching her breath. Finally, she turned and looked at him. "I couldn't breath—I thought I was going to die."

Liran touched her shoulder, "I'm sorry for hitting you so hard."

She turned, "What? No! Thank you—you... you saved my life!" she came closer.

Liran froze—was she going to....

And then she hugged him.

Liran didn't know what to do. He gulped, and stood there, frozen, his arms limp at his sides.

"Thank you! I can't tell you how scary that was. I thought I was going to die."

Liran stood there totally confused, and he realized with horror, slightly aroused. He pushed her lightly away and turned from her to gain his composure. He coughed, and pretnded to have a little coughing fit to buy him some time and then, when he was sure it was safe, he sat down against the wall.

She seemingly hadn't noticed anything, thank god, and was examining the chunk of meal bar that she'd expelled. It was bubbling and growing, activated by her saliva.

"Can you imagine that could still be in my throat?"

Liran rolled his eyes—she was so dramatic. "Next time don't take such a large bite. I told you, small bites and chew well."

Imorah nodded and wiped her eyes. She wasn't wearing her sunglasses and the sun was making her cry—or at least Liran hoped. The last thing he needed was for her to start crying again.

She looked up and smiled at him, her eyes squeezed shut, tears streaking down her face. "Thank you, LIran."

"It's no problem," he shrugged. "Now get out of the sun. You're going to blind yourself." He sighed—his whole body was still tingling from that hug. He couldn't get it out of his mind. Her hands wrapped around his neck. Her soft curly hair brushing up against his cheek. He shook his head, and rubbed his sweaty hands on his galabya. Then he realised she was saying something. "What?" he said.

"I said that I know exactly what you mean." She was sitting against the wall beside him again.

"What? What I mean—what do you mean?"

"Silly, I mean, before I stupidly started choking on that stupid meal bar—I said that I know exactly what you mean."

Liran was still confused. "What I mean about what?"

"About wanting to know about these places you'll never get to see."

"Oh right. I see." He exhaled and relaxed.