20.1. Full circle

Liran had walked all night in the direction of the Horns — two hills shaped like cows horns in the distance — to the watering hole and gardens shared by the entire village. After descending into the valley, it had been an easy five hour walk through a rolling, desert landscape with many familiar trails. He had the impression that absolutely nothing had changed. How many years had he spent walking his goats over these hills as a child?

Everything was the same, except he was different. First of all, he was wearing this ridiculous outfit. He despised all of it, except for the boots, which were much more comfortable than the leather sandals he'd been wearing. On top of that, he didn't even know if he could speak his local dialect like a local anymore. And he didn't know if he could live here again, out here in this backward wasteland.

He'd kept a brisk pace, wanting to get there before sunrise, hoping to meet her, and scope out the area beforehand. Just as the sky started to lighten, he arrived at the left horn, and slowed down to catch his breath, having spent the last while jogging through the sand. He hoped he wasn't too late, but if he knew his sister, she would be the last person to leave. His heart fluttered at the possibility of seeing her again.

Don't get your hopes up, he told himself, but despite the warnings, he was still full of anticipation.

He got to the top of a ridge near the well, and looked over. There on the other side, down below was a large farming area made of many small gardens, each encircled by a stone wall.

In the shadowy morning light, he could not make out much, but he could feel a freshness on the breeze that indicated water down below.

Liran ducked behind the ridge, and lay on his back, looking up at the sky, listening for the sounds of people. There was no talking, but he did hear a familiar sound that made him smile.

It was the sound of a small hand hoe digging in the dirt. It was the sound his sister made when she was in the garden. It was faint, but there it was.

He continued listening, watching as the sky lightened.

Finally he heard a voice. He peered over the ledge to see who was talking, but the people's faces were in shadow.

"We're leaving, will you come with us?"

"No," a girl answered, "I'll stay a while longer."

"Okay, see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

Liran watched silently as two people left and then the girl disappeared behind a stone wall, bending down to continue digging in the sand. He believed the entire garden was empty now, except for the girl.

It was her, he was certain of it. Her voice, her digging.

He sank back again and waited, listening to the chop, chop, chop sound of her hoe. He didn't know what he was waiting for, but he found it difficult to get up and go to her. What if she hated him, or even worse — she didn't remember him?

Finally the sky was coming over the desert plain to the east. A shot of orange sunlight hit Liran up on the ridge only a second before it hit the girl down below. They both turned their faces to it instantly, closing their eyes, shielding their brows. It was an intensely beautiful light, but also intensely destructive.

The moment signalled it was time for Liran to make his move. She would leave soon now that the sun had arrived.

He walked back down the ridge, deciding to take the long way, around the horn and coming from a distance, so he could watcher her.