6.2. Make it hurt (Liran)

After he'd put on his galabya, Liran composed himself and chatted for a few minutes more with Akim. He managed to suppress his thoughts about his father by staring at Nerezza.

She sat silently on the bed beside her brother across from Liran, and she didn't say a word the whole time, but listened intently. She was really beautiful, with dark skin and a smile framed by long, jet-black hair. She wore kohl around her eyes that constantly grabbed Liran's attention. He found it difficult to concentrate on Akim's words.

He was relieved when there was a knock at the door.

"Open," he yelled.

The door swung open and everyone stood up. It was Sephram. "Boss wants to see you," he said. Liran nodded, and Sephram closed the door.

He said to Akim, "I need to go, I'll chat more with you guys later."

"Ayah," Akim said, and they shook hands once again.

Liran nodded at Nerezza and she looked down while nodding, hiding a blush perhaps? Liran thought.

He left the room and there was Sephram waiting in the hall. "What's up?" he asked.

"I don't know," Sephram responded as they both started walking down the narrow hall, single file. "But Eeya's in there with him now and since she's back he's been giving out orders left, right and centre." Sephram stopped, and whispered, "and I just heard a rumour from Malik that the captain and half the crew are leaving at Sachs."

"What?!" Liran exclaimed. "What in the world is going on?" Malik was crew on board who they'd become good friends with.

"I don't know, but it's bad. It's really bad," Sephram responded, and started up the ladder to climb out the hatch.

When they arrived on deck, Liran saw the sun had almost set. He could see the shoreline was full of lights from people waking up. He realised it wasn't that far away. He could swim... probably. He could probably swim. Sephram had taught him the dog paddle and how to float. But he'd never been very far from the ship, only in the waters right beside it. The thought of being out in the sea alone in the dark was terrifying.

He quickly pushed away his fear and followed Sephram up to Ithabar's office. He climbed the stairs and entered the dark, smoky room.

On the couch was Eeya Namaco, a petite filippino woman who Ithabar had come to Aklavik to pick up. Some new business partner. She looked wealthy, and angry.

Liran nodded his head to her, but she turned away. He took a deep breath and addressed Ithabar, "Sir."

Ithabar said to Eeya, "Tell him what you heard!"

"You dirty," she said in jilted Standard at Liran. "I heard you dirty."

"What happened?" Liran asked, his face starting to fill with blood. "I don't understand."

Ithabar rolled his eyes at Eeya. "Give the boy a break, it's not his fault."

"What's not my fault?" Liran asked, still confused. What is going on?

Eeya responded, "My friend in Aklavik say you a dirty boy, Liran. Deleted files. They searching for you." She pointed her long finger at Liran, her beaded bracelet chattering as she shook her arm. "You linked with Adell Ahmadi!" she screamed.

Liran gulped. Adell Ahmadi had been a Most Wanted fugitive for decades and leader of the rebellion. And he'd been caught by the Praetoria just three days ago.

Liran knew Adell Ahmadi only from a holo-vid he'd watched over five years ago when he was thirteen, on the day he had run away from home and left his family, his village and his whole life behind.