Part 84

Author's note: just a warning, I haven't even reviewed this for basic errors.... read at your own risk. 

---

Liran nodded. "Okay, I'm in," he said. "What do I need to do?"

"You're going to blow up the Portal," Adell said, looking straight at Liran.

"Now wait a minute! That's exactly what they've been accusing me of doing for the last four years!" Liran remembered the research station—the terror attack Adell had committed—and realised that everything they'd said about him becoming a terrorist was true. It sent a shiver down his spine. Suddenly the room seemed too cold and too small. He wanted some fresh air and some real light. But Adell had continued speaking. Liran refocused his attention, pushing away the sick feeling in his stomach.

"... in their scenarios of probability. I understand this is a lot for you to take in, but there is a great chance there will be little to no casualties."

"Casualties?" Liran asked, confused. "What is that?" Liran felt a pit growing in his stomach. He couldn't go backward, but it also seemed like he was doomed if he went forward.

Imorah turned on the rock, her eyes wide. "It means people might die."

"What? Are you saying that I'm going to kill people?" Liran felt sick. Was this his destiny?

"We have taken every precaution to prevent any loss of life. However, there is a chance that there will be some casualties. People travelling in the portal during detonation will be dematerialized."

Casualties... loss of life... dematerialized.... Liran didn't like these big words. They made him feel small and confused. He could barely keep focus on what Adell was saying.

"... no pain.... ...molecular structure...."

Liran felt it hard to breathe. He really needed to get some fresh air. Was he to become a terrorist? His name would go down in history as an evil person. Is this where life had brought him? Suddenly, he blurted, "Isn't there another way?"

The hologram froze, clearly not programmed to answer that question.

Phiona's voice echoed in the cave. "Liran, there is only a very small chance that people will die. However, we have taken every precaution to prevent this possibility."

"But you didn't answer his question," Imorah said, standing up. "He asked if there wasn't another way—without destroying anything or killing anyone."

Liran exhaled—she understood. For once he was grateful to have her around. He put his head in his hands and tried to listen while simultaneously trying to calm himself down.

"I'm afraid that the portal must be destroyed if there is to be any lasting change. Humans in the City have grown ambivalent and ignorant of the circumstances here on Earth. In order for things to change, they need to see what's happening here. They need to experience it for themselves. The only way to do that is to bring them here. We have not been able to develop any other plan that has any chance of lasting success."

"You're sure—there is nothing else?" she insisted.

There was silence.

Liran looked up.

Phiona's lights were flashing, indicating that she was thinking. The hologram of Adell remained frozen.

Liran frowned. What's going on, he wondered.

Finally, Phiona said, "There is a small chance that something else might work. However, I am not privy to the details."

"What do you mean? Why?" Liran asked.