16.2. Reunion

I stumble, half sleeping from my room, walking, practically running for my age, into the kitchen grasping at the wall to keep myself from falling over

Michael and Nike were sitting there, having just finished eating some eggs.

I ran straight to the kitchen table, ignoring their surprised expressions, and pushed the chairs away.

"Shalon?" Michael blurted, standing up, his face full of concern. He reached to grab me, probably fearing a heart attack.

"Don't talk to me!" I pushed him out of the way and shouted. "Don't talk to me..." I muttered as I tried to remember the dream. "Don't talk to me."

Nike and Michael both shrank back in fear. I ignored them, and grabbed a piece of wood from the fire and started writing on the wall.

"What is it?" Michael asked.

After I'd scribbled it out, I breathed a sigh of relief. "The bloody bastards cleaned up! They took absolutely everything! Even the paper and pens in my room. I tried to write it on the bloody dust on the window, but they cleaned the windows!"

There was silence.

Michael didn't say a word, and avoided eye contact.

"They left the chickens," Nicole said softly.

Michael nodded, "Yeah, they left the chickens and the garden on the roof."

I scowled at them and then examined my writing.

Michael came over and stood beside me, and examined my handiwork — the alphanumeric code: 2-4-4-7-W-2-2

Nicole stayed where she was, and I glanced over at her. She was chewing her sleeve — she chewed the bloody thing so much it was a wonder she hadn't eaten half of it by now. It was difficult to see her becoming the woman I'd just dreamt about on the beach. I took a better look at her. Was it there inside of her?

"What is it?" Michael asked behind me.

I turned my attention back to the code. "I don't know. I just woke up from a LUCID dream where Nicole told me this code."

"Nicole?" he asked, frowning in confusion. "In a dream?"

"Yes, strange isn't it?" We both turned and looked at Nike, who was backing into the corner, away from us as we examined her.

"Do you have lucid dreams sometimes?" I asked her.

She didn't say anything.

"Nicole, answer me. Do you have LUCID dreams sometimes?"

She nodded her head once.

"You do?" I asked again. "Did you take LUCID when you were a child?"

"Hmmm...." she said.

I turned to Michael, "Do you?"

"Do I what?" he asked.