11.2. The return (Liran)

Once they had landed, Silas exited the cockpit, closing the door behind him. He nodded at Akim, who stood up and ordered Liran to stand up as well. The two Praetoria officers each took a dufflebag from the wall and passed one to each Liran and Akim.

"These are supplies you might need for your journey." Silas said, quietly.

Liran took the bag and put it on, copying Akim.

Silas seemed calm and neutral. He stood with his hands behind his back, and his face was flat. Liran couldn't read him in the slightest. "I expect to hear from Akim within two days - that he has the relic."

Liran nodded, considering the timeframe. Two days would be more than sufficient - it was only a half day's hike from here.

Silas continued, "If I do not hear from him within two days, then we will clear everyone in Alnada."

He'd said it with such a calm voice that Liran hadn't recognised the gravity of what he'd said. When it dawned on him what he was threatening, Liran's eyes flew wide with panic. "What!?" he yelped uncontrollably.

"You heard me. We will clear everyone in your village if we do not hear from Akim within the next forty-eight hours. Once Akim has secured the relic, he will make contact with me. You will be free to go." Silas smiled, then continued, "Remember Liran Fawaz, we made an agreement: you give the relic to Akim in exchange for your freedom. If you do not follow your agreement, we will clear everyone in your village. Do you understand? We will take them all."

"But..." Liran looked from Akim to Silas.

"Do you understand?" Silas asked again.

Liran nodded, his chest filling with anger. Through gritted teeth, he responded, "I understand."

Silas yelled at Akim, "Now go! And don't mess this up, Akim. You've also got a lot to lose."

"Yes sir!" Akim said, standing in attention.

"You have twenty-four hours to surrender the Relic over to The Guardian's Praetoria. Your time starts now." Silas said. The guard to his left nodded - clearly he was the time-keeper.

Akim pushed Liran roughly towards the exit of the ship. "Let's go!" he commanded.

Liran stumbled forward, and out onto the ship's exterior platform. He was immediately struck by the strong sunlight. They must had been travelling for hours and the sun stood close to its zenith. This was the wrong time of day to start this journey. He was grateful to have the bag, which he assumed held food and water. He was famished.

They jumped down from the platform, and onto the sand below. Here and there were tuffs of tall, dead grass, long scorched by the sun. The wet part of the year was long over.

"What direction?" Akim asked.

Liran pointed with his head to the east, and started walking.

Behind them, the ship took off, and Liran closed his eyes to avoid debris as the thrusters of DeltaNine scorched the earth. He turned and watched it rise straight into the atmosphere, and fly off.

"How long will it take?" Akim asked.

"About a day" Liran said. It wasn't technically a lie, because he intended to make it last at least a day.

Akim nodded.

"If we don't get lost, that is," Liran added. Then he turned and looked out in the distance, behind him - the hills all looked alike, covered in grasses and shrubs as far as the eye could see.