Phiona

Imorah was beyond thrilled to finally have her hands on Phiona, with an opportunity to ask all the questions she'd been saving up. She left the stupid boy behind her gladly.

"Tashin's wife!" she muttered under her breath, and shook her head. He was just like his father in so many ways. Stupid, suspicious and a know-it-all.

She pushed him out of her thoughts—there were so many questions to ask Phiona, and she needed to make a list so she didn't forget anything. Chief was what Phiona knew about her Grandmother... The last time she'd talked to Phiona, only very briefly in Tashin's cave, she'd been interrupted. Hopefully this time she could have a block of time with Phiona alone.

The second question was whether Phiona could read the language in her book. Imorah was sure that Phiona could help her. She thought about what Liran had said—that Phiona was dangerous.

Again, Imorah shook her head. Of all the people she'd met on the surface so far, she felt that Phiona was the least likely to lie or manipulate. She was programmed to help, and if she was helping Adell Ahmadi, then it was probably for a good reason. Besides, computers can't lie, she thought to herself.

It was slow going the further down she went. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness and the reflected light from above was barely sufficient to keep going. But eventually she entered a larger chamber. She guessed she was about seventy meters underground.

She put Phiona and her bags down in the center of the room and explored the chamber. She felt a light breeze and knew there was a through passage somewhere. The chamber was large. After a few minutes of investigating, she discovered a passageway that led out of the chamber. A tube. The breeze came from that direction—the cave was breathing.

She decided to check it out later. At the moment, the only thing she wanted was to talk with Phiona.

She set up the battery, which had charged while they were taking breaks during the day. The heavy glass head fit into the battery with a satisfying clunk, and immediately the lights on Phiona's brow lit up.

"Phiona!" she cried with joy.

"Imorah, it's a pleasure to see you again." Her brow lights flashed. "It is dark here. Shall I illuminate the room?"

"Yes," Imorah said happily.

A light inside of Phiona began to glow, lighting up the chamber with a soft light. "Please wait a moment while I conduct a diagnostic." Then after a moment, she continued, "Everything appears to be running smoothly. How may I help you today, Imorah?"

Imorah bit her knuckles in excitement. "I'm so happy you're okay. You have no idea what's happened since we talked."

"Likewise, Imorah. It is a great relief to see that you are also okay." Phiona's voice was soft, and warbling, like that of an old woman.  "Would you like to tell me what has transpired since we last spoke?" 

A cloud passed over Imorah's face. "Um... no, maybe later. I just... I'm so happy to be here with you right now." She didn't want to talk about all the horrible things that she'd experienced.

"I understand, Imorah. We can speak about Tashin later."

Imorah frowned. How did she know? She gulped. "Do you know what happened to him?"

Phiona hesitated, and appeared to be thinking. The small yellow lights on her brow flashed continuously in a wave. Finally, she said, "Yes, Imorah, logic leads me to the conclusion that Tashin must be dead."

"But... how can you know that?"

"The series of events that lead to Tashin's death were initiated a long, long time ago." Phiona paused. "It was inevitable," she said at last.