7.2. Deserted (Liran)

Liran woke up, opened his eyes and his world was dark. Utterly dark. He could hear voices outside the door. He started to reach out to feel his way in the dark, and found that his hands were restricted. He felt around and found he was in a box, a long, narrow box.

Am I in a damned locker? he wondered. Or a coffin?

Liran was about to yell out for help when he realised that maybe the people talking were the ones who'd locked him up. He listened closely to their voices.

"Where is Officer Vye?" Someone asked. An unfamiliar voice with an unfamiliar accent.

Someone answered, "She continued on with the operation and remained onboard, Brother." That was Akim's voice.

'She'd remained onboard' must mean that Nerezza — Officer Vye — had remained onboard. That meant Liran was not onboard. Where on earth am I and how did I get here?

"And the prisoner is secured?"

"Yes Brother, he's secured and sedated in a duraglas bio-bag."

Duraglas bio-bag? What on earth is that?

"Have you submitted the prisoner's genetic information?"

"Yes Brother," Akim answered. "It's in the official galactic record now — here is the access code, I'm sending you now."

Shortly after there was a beep. The Brother said, "Received. Tell me, what does the record contain?" the voice asked, impatient.

"He's not in the system, Brother. There's no match. Either he's never been in the system or his files have been deleted. However, there is a familial genome that identifies his region as Mid-East Great Bear Range — just as you predicted, Sir."

"So what you're saying is that you have learned nothing that we don't already know?"

Akim answered. "Officer Vye confirmed that he knows the location of Phiona."

There was a silence that indicated this was important information. "Did he give this information to Baxter?"

"I do not believe so."

There was an even longer silence.

Finally Akim broke the silence, "We're waiting for further instructions from you, Brother Silas."

Brother Silas? Liran thought. Who the hell is that!? He gulped and struggled to listen closer.

The man continued, "Have you attempted an extraction?"

"Yes, Sir. The first day. He has a neuroblock installed."

"How on earth could a desert scum like him afford a neuroblock? And why would he need one?" Brother Silas asked.

"I don't know," Akim said, "Unless he's more important than we first assumed."

"Stay where you are. I will arrive the day after tomorrow."

"Yes, Sir." Akim answered.

"We have another problem we're dealing with currently, but we'll be there soon. Check in every four hours and do not engage the prisoner. Keep him sedated, do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir."

"One, possibly two days, and we'll arrive at your location. "

Where am I? Liran wondered. Somewhere far enough away that The Praetoria would take a few days to arrive?

The two men ended their conversation and for a moment there was absolute silence. Whatever call Akim had made had ended.

"I know you're in there. I know you're listening." Akim said to Liran.

Liran gulped. Just then, the box around Liran disappeared, or it appeared to disappear. In fact, Liran was still squished inside but the box itself had become invisible, like crystal clear glass. Without meaning to, Liran yelled in fright. "Akim, let me out of here!"

Akim swallowed, and looked down at Liran. His face was stone cold. He pushed a button on the box and the sides of the box reappeared, and Liran was in the dark.

But not before seeing that Akim had been wet, his hair and clothes wet. And the sun was rising. They were somewhere in the desert, near the ocean. How many hours had passed, and where on earth was he?

Liran pounded on the box, but the sound was incredibly muffled. He yelled, but the sound seemed to go no where. Hollow. Just then the box filled with a gas and Liran passed out.