Chapter 17: Date Night

The next few days passed pretty quickly. The days were filled with settling into my new home. The nights were a blur of Beatles shows and Paul afterwards. We never had much time alone together, but I was enjoying the time we did have.

It was late Sunday night, and we were outside of my building, again saying goodbye.

"So, are we good for tomorrow night then?" Paul asked

"Can't wait" I said

Ok, so I'll pick you up right here at 7?" he asked.

"Oh. No. You can pick me up at my door, like a proper date. Room 204." He visibly blanched, and I knew exactly what he was thinking. "Dot moved out a few days ago, so you don't have to worry about a nasty scene." I added for his benefit.

He was visibly relieved. "Whew. That was scary. I thought my heart was going to come out of my chest. Going to pick up my new girl when my old one lives right next door. "

"So I'm your new girl, huh?"

"Well... I guess...umm...I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow?" I nodded as he headed to the car. I stopped his rapid exit, by grabbing his arm and forcing him to turn back around.

"Bye, Paul" I said pulling him close to me and kissing him. Not a soft kiss, but an urgent one.

"Bye, Anne." he said reluctantly pulling away and walking to the car.

I walked up to my room, a satisfied smile on my face. This was going so well, it was almost too good to be true.

I awoke the next day refreshed and ready to take on the tasks of the day, and boy did I have a lot. I went down to the Art college, to see if it was possible to enroll. I wasn't a full on feminist, but I had enough in me to want something for myself other than just a relationship with a guy.

I wasn't sure how it would go as they were well into the semester. It went surprisingly well, or maybe not considering the crazy things that had happened to me. I guess it was par for the course.

They allowed me start the semester the following day, but I had to try to catch up the best I could. I was also put in photography classes, which was great.

Next, I went to buy a camera and other supplies. This camera was not the digital kind of my time, but a film camera. Luckily I had taken many extracurricular photography classes & they had dealt with film and dark room techniques. My mom even had an old camera similar to the one I bought. So I was quite prepared for this type of camera.

When we got back to the boarding house, Cyn and I made plans to get ready together because she had a date that night too.

I cleaned my room thoroughly and when I was through, I went to get a shower. After my shower was through, I gathered the things I needed to ready and headed over to Cyn's. I uses a bonnet hairdryer I had bought a few days earlier. It took a lot longer than the hairdryer I had at home, but it was ten times better that using the breeze to dry it.

After my hair was dry, Cyn helped me style my hair. She wanted to style it in some big haired sixties style, but I wouldn't have it. Instead, I left it long and strait and Cynthia helped me curl the ends. After my hair was done, I put on makeup and slithered into my dress. I loved the dress and I hoped Paul would too. It was sage green and fit me snugly, but not too tight. It came to an inch above my knees, and had a square neckline.

When I was done, having only five minutes to spare, I rushed back to my room to await Paul's arrival.

Right on time, there was a knock at my door. I waited a second so I wouldn't seem to eager. Then I answered the door.

He was beautiful as always. Dark hair on his head and arms, big beautiful eyes, and a perfect pouty mouth, that was wonderful to kiss. He was wearing snug blue jeans and a white button up shirt. Very nice.

"Hey, love" he said with a smile.

I let him into the apartment, so I could kiss him without the prying eyes of my neighbors. After our brief make out session in which his hands roamed closer to my ass than they had before, I showed him around my little apartment.

I wasn't quite ready for sex, yet. That is to say, my body was, but not my mind yet. I wanted to get to know him even better before that happened.

I had only slept with one person before. The boyfriend I had dated back in Austin. I'm not sure how sex affects other people, but for me it really messed with my feelings. It made me feel more for the guy than I think I really did. I thought I was in love, but really it was just hormones. He then broke up with me because he had met someone else. After the breakup, I was devastated for about a month. Then I realized I didn't really miss him anymore, it was the idea of him and being in a relationship. I missed the sex, too. The feeling of being that close to someone. After that month, I was much better.

So, I wanted to make sure my feelings were real before taking the next step. I was already half way there. How could I not be?

"I think we'd better get to dinner" I said, pulling him gently along with me. I locked up & followed him as we stepped out of my building.

"I thought we might go to a little place down the way. It's pretty good. I would take you somewhere else, but I don't have a car" he said a little self-consciously.

"I don't mind at all" smiling at him & turning to him to give a little kiss to prove my point.

As we strolled down the street we talked about music. I was thankful for my oldies education because I recognized most of the acts he was into. Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, Elvis. He was passionate about music.

We had a lovely little dinner. I was starting to get used to the British food. Quite different from Texas, and I was really missing Mexican food.

We slowly walked back to my flat. Holding hands and talking about anything and everything. Our conversation flowed so well, with hardly any awkwardness.

We arrived at the door to my flat, and he began kissing me hungrily. He was not pushing me in any way, but I could tell he wanted more. At this point by body shoved my mind aside and I pulled myself away from Paul and said "Would you like to come in?"