Chapter 32: Where Were You When...?

The rest of 1963 was crazy. Even when Paul was in town, he was busy. My job rarely interfered with our time together, as I usually only worked 3-4 nights a month.

The fans were becoming a problem, as they had learned where we lived. As John and Paul both lived in the same building, we had a lot of girls hanging around outside. It was usually okay when I was with Paul, as the girls wanted to impress him. If I was by myself, I would try to rush out so I could avoid them. They would call me names and pull at my clothes if I wasn't quick enough. Some were very nice, but I definitely had to watch out for the ones who weren't.

The latter part of 1963 was full of importance in both the Beatle world and the world at large. The boys played the London Palladium for the first time. Since I didn't grow up in this time or in England for that matter, I didn't know how big of a deal playing the Palladium was. It was broadcast on TV and to large audiences. They did an amazing job, of course. The girls in the audience screamed the whole time, and the term Beatlemania was termed by the press.

The next big event was The Royal Variety show performed in front of the Queen. I don't believe I had ever seen Paul so nervous, but again they played wonderfully.

The third major event was not a happy one. It was Nov. 22nd, 1963. I had been traveling with Paul on tour for most of the month, because If I hadn't we wouldn't have seen each other at all for that month. I was backstage watching the boys perform, when Neil came up to me.

"People are saying that President Kennedy has been shot" he said visibly shaken by the news.

"What?" I said, possibly as shocked as he had looked. I knew that JFK had been shot and killed in my home state of Texas, I had read about it a textbook at school. I had even been to the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas with my parents. However, I had been living my life in the past for over 2 years. I hadn't thought of the history I would witness while here. So, I was shocked and saddened.

"Yeah, in Texas. Someone shot him. No one's said how he is, though"

"Oh, God. That's horrible" I said not really knowing what to say. We were soon distracted by the chaos on the stage. A girl had gotten by security and up on stage, and she was soon hugging on George. It looked like she was trying to kiss him. He managed to push her away and she ran over to John. Security had caught up by then and rushed her away. Neil had ordered the curtains drawn during the chaos, and boys left the stage mid song.

John came off stage laughing.

"Did she get your bollocks?" John asked George, who was not laughing.

"No, I bet she would've if I'd let her. She was going for yours next" he said a wry smile forming, but he stopped smiling when he saw the look on mine and Neil's faces.

When he noticed us, John asked. "Who's died?" in his abrupt way. Paul and Ringo had come off stage by then, and heard his question and looked at Neil and I in concern.

"President Kennedy's been shot. We haven't heard if he's all right, yet" I told them plainly, starting to tear up. I knew he wasn't all right, and Paul came over to comfort me.

We left hurriedly to get back to the hotel. When we got there, we all huddled around the T.V. in the suite. The news was not good, and it was finally announced that he was dead. Assassinated.

"The world had gone absolutely batty" Paul said after the announcement. There was nothing to do, but agree.

***

I was soon getting more and more work at my job. Sometimes 3 days out of the week. I mostly photographed acts that played at the concert hall. I really enjoyed it. I could tell Paul was getting annoyed by it, especially when I was scheduled to work on one of his precious days off. We had an argument about it, something I was tiring of.

"I think you should quit" he said.

"Paul, you sound like a broken record! I deserve to have something in my life that's mine alone. It doesn't mean I love you any less, or that I don't want to be with you. I like my job, what is wrong with that?" I asked, slamming my hand on the table in frustration.

"I don't know!" He said getting worked up "I need you! My life is crazy. You're the only one that makes me feel normal. You know when my head is getting too big. You know when I need encouragement. When I don't see you for a while, I feel like I'm going daft"

"I'm not going anywhere, Paul" I said, knowing it was not exactly the truth.

Paul sensed my deception. "I don't believe you. You're hiding something from me. I can tell" he said angrily.

I took a breath to calm myself down and collect my thoughts "Paul, I would never willingly leave you" That was the truth.

"I know you wouldn't." he said sighing. "I'm sorry. I know you hate it when I do this. I can't help it; I just want you with me"

"I want to be with you too. I would never tell you to quit the Beatles, so I could see you more. You need to realize that's what you're doing to me when you ask me to quit my job!"

"You're right, you're right. I'm sorry, my love. Please forgive me?"

I did of course, I could probably forgive almost anything when it came to him. I didn't particularly like the fighting part, but the making up part was excellent.

***

As much as I liked my job I did, however, inform my boss that I would not be able to work from January 14th through Feb. 23rd. The Beatles were going on a tour in France followed by their first trip to America. Paul was so excited about going to America & I was happy to be able to experience it with him.

We celebrated Christmas and New Years in London. Mr. McCartney and Mike came up for Christmas and they brought Mr. McCartney's new girlfriend Angela and her daughter Ruth. I thought Angela was lovely and her daughter so cute. Paul was a little uncertain about Angela at first, but when he saw how happy his Dad was he came around. Ruth helped win him over as well, Paul loved children and had soon formed a bond with little Ruth.

We then celebrated the last day of the year with the rest of the Beatles and their significant others. When the hand struck 12, Paul and I kissed. We were so excited for what 1964 would bring us. I would not have been so happy, if I had known the hardships 1964 would bring to Paul and I.