Chapter 50: Preparations

Two days before the wedding, the press found out about my reappearance in Paul's life. We knew it would happen, but we weren't expecting it to be so fast. Evidently someone had gotten a picture of Paul and I leaving the studio, sneaking a kiss. The headlines were not nice, the worst one was "Paul McCartney's Cheating on Jane Asher with ex-fiancé". While this of course wasn't true, Jane did not know that. To her the headline explained exactly why Paul had broken up with her so suddenly. She called the house one evening and I answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Of course you would pick up. Is Paul there?" the woman asked. I did not recognize the voice, so I was cautious.

"May I ask who's speaking?"

"Yes, it's the girl Paul has been cheating on. With you." That clued me into who is was.

"You shouldn't believe everything you read in the papers, Jane. I will get Paul for you, though. Just a moment." I said putting the phone down, and going to get Paul. He was in the music room.

"I hate to interrupt you, love." I said getting his attention. "Jane is on the phone for you"

He shook his head in frustration, but got up and went to the phone. I followed him for support. I knew it hadn't been easy for him to hurt her, as he did care for her.

"Hello, Jane" Paul said as he picked up the phone. "No, it's not true, I didn't cheat on you with Anne." A pause while she was yelling, I went behind him and rubbed his shoulders as he looked so tense. "Jane, listen. I promise you I didn't cheat on you. The truth is that when I broke up with you, I had just heard from Anne for the first time in 18 months. She wanted me back, and the truth is I've never gotten over her"

Another pause while she was yelling again, this time he turned to me and put an arm around me. "I do care for you Jane, but I love her. I always have. I tried to get over her, but it's not possible. I'm sorry I hurt you, it was not my intention to do so" Paul kissed my temple as she was speaking. "No, Jane. There's something else you should know" He said looking at me for permission, I nodded my head. "I think you should know so you aren't surprised by the newspapers. Anne and I are getting married in few days." 'She's crying' Paul silently mouthed to me with a frown. "I'm sorry it's so soon Jane, but there are reasons why it needs to happen fast" Another pause to let Jane speak. "Not that it's really your business, but no she's not pregnant. I'm sorry, but there isn't anything more to say" He said before saying goodbye and hanging up. He then pulled me into a full hug.

"Sounds like she's still pretty upset" I said to him.

"Yes, and I really feel bad for her but I'm not sure talking to her helped anything. She's even more mad than when I broke up with her" He said wearily.

"She was probably in love with you, Paul. I can definitely sympathize with her because I love you too and if you left me for another woman, I would kill you" He smiled disbelievingly at me shaking his head. "Ok, well maybe not kill you, but I would be really, really mad".

"Well, I'm glad we will never have to find out, because I'm not leaving you for another woman or otherwise." He said kissing me.

"I know that, my love and in two days you'll be stuck with me permanently" I said grinning at him.

"I can't wait" he said.

***

The wedding preparations were mostly being handled by Pattie and Cyn, so we could try to escape notice. If I went around ordering wedding cakes and flowers, the word would be out and the outside of our house would be swamped with reporters and fans. It was fine with me, Pattie had great taste and I was not worried at all about what she would pick out.

I had also asked Pattie, Maureen and Cyn to be my bridesmaids, with Cyn being the matron of honor. When we had planned the wedding before I disappeared I had decided on no bridesmaids because I missed my friend Sandy so badly. However, in the spirit of being completely focused on this time period and not on my past (or future) I decided to have my closest friends here as bridesmaids. I was little afraid they would be mad at me as well for disappearing. They didn't know the real reason after all. However, while they did seem to be a little hurt they hadn't heard from me, they accepted me back with open arms

Paul had Mike as his Best man and John and Ringo as Groomsmen. George was again tasked with walking me down the aisle. There was no one I would have rather had by my side. Julian was the ring bearer, now at the age of 3 he was the perfect age.

I wanted it to be a laid back occasion, as we weren't really formal people. We could play at that stuff when we had to, but with only our closest friends looking on, we could be us. We asked the officiant to make it a short ceremony, because marriage was not about the wedding. It was about a life together and we wanted to start ours as fast as possible.

The day of the wedding was relatively peaceful. All arrangements had been made, and everything went fairly smoothly. Cyn, Pattie, and Mo were at the house helping me get ready, they had spent the night too. We had a small bachelorette party there, because it was impossible to have it in public. If I was spotted with the rest of the Beatle wives, without the boys, there would be suspicion.

Paul had spent the night before at John's house and the guys took him out to do what bachelors did before their wedding. I wasn't worried in the slightest, I had complete trust in Paul. Complete trust in Paul was not something I had always felt, but after all the things we had been through he had earned it.

Neil was the first to come to the house that morning. He was supervising the setup of the wedding. People would be delivering the supplies all day. We were worried that word would get out, and Paul and the rest of the guests would have a hard time getting into the house, so we had everyone come early.

Paul was restricted to the music room, so we would not run into each other. A little bit of silly tradition, but I really wanted the first time he saw me that day to be when I was walking down the aisle toward him.

While I was getting my wedding dress on I began to hear some noise coming from outside. I looked out the window, and it became apparent we had been discovered. There were several hundred people gathered at the gate and along the street.

The police were called, but there was only so much they could do. The minute they moved people away from the area, many more took their place. Now it was a matter of crowd control.

Thankfully the wedding was taking place in the back garden and it wasn't visible from the front. It was part of Beatle life and I would soon be married to it, literally. So, I didn't let it bother me or take away from this happy occasion in our life.

Patty helped me with my makeup and my hair. She attached a long veil to the back of my hair, I didn't want it over my face but I liked the look of it trailing behind me. The girls were dressing in matching light blue knee length flowy dresses. Pattie had picked them out having only asked what color I would prefer, and I loved them.

When the wedding was due to start, George came up to the room to take his place by my side. He kissed my cheek and said "You look beautiful, Anne"

"You look quite handsome yourself" And he did. He was dressed a gray suit with a light blue shirt and no tie.

We all walked down to the back door. The music started and Mo went out the door followed by Pattie and Cyn.

While we were waiting for our turn to walk, George whispered to me "You know you don't have to this if you don't want to. You and I can run away together"

When I looked up at him he was grinning and I kissed his cheek and said "No I think I'd better marry the poor guy this time, can't have me running away again"

"I guess not; it would hurt his huge ego. Ready?" he said holding out his arm for me to put mine through. I nodded and we started our walk down the aisle.