Chapter 29: Christmas 1962

The boys were soon back at the studio, this time with Ringo. However, things did not go as planned because George Martin would not allow Ringo to play on the recording. It seems he was still a little put off from the last session with Pete Best, and thought that Ringo would not be good enough.

At any rate, they were able to record their original songs "Love Me Do" as the A side for their single. With Paul's "P.S. I Love You" on the B side.

Two days after the record was put out, it was on the charts and would eventually reach #17 on the charts. It sold 100,00 copies, which was quite astounding.

In November they would have a 2-week stint in Hamburg, then back to England for a few weeks. Then back for another 2 weeks in Hamburg over Christmas.

I would not be able to come to Hamburg in November because of school, but planned to go over Christmas. This led to an uncomfortable conversation with Paul.

"I hate that you can't come. Another two weeks apart, it's crap" he said irritably.

"I have school Paul, what do you expect me to do? You know I want to be there with you. I hate it as much as you, maybe more as I'm the one being left behind." I hated when he got like this. Normally we were only apart 2-3 days at the most, even then I know he would rather me be with him. The other guys, on the other hand, were probably happy I didn't come. It was very much a boy's club, where girls were not wanted. Especially on the road.

"Well, what if you quit school?" he asked hesitantly.

"Paul, I can't do that! I'm here alone with no family to fall back on. I need school so I can get a job to support myself eventually. I have money now, but that won't last forever. Besides, if I quit now I would just have to get a job, then we would never get to see each other. I would not have the holidays off, or summer" I said to him carefully.

"You're not alone. You've got me. I'll take care of you, I told you I would"

"I know, but were not married. I know we've talked about it, but neither of us are ready. We could break up tomorrow and where would that leave me? Alone!" I said and felt the tears start to come. God, I hated being emotional sometimes but this was a real fear of mine. My parents were dead, the rest of my life was 53 years from now. If I didn't have Paul, I would be alone.

Paul saw my tears and gathered me in his arms "Don't be silly, Anne. We're not going to break up tomorrow or ever. I'd be lost without you, you know. I'm sorry. I know you need to go to school, I just hate being apart for so long. I'd be happy if we never spent a day apart again"

"Me, too! I think that will happen eventually, it just isn't possible now" I said wearily.

Paul dropped the subject and we didn't talk about it again, and soon he was off to Hamburg. This time they flew there and were getting to stay in a hotel. A big improvement from their last accommodations in Hamburg.

About a week after he left, I received a letter from him. It was becoming our tradition.

Dear Anne,

We each have our own hotel rooms here in Hamburg. It's nice to have the privacy, but being alone in my room makes me miss you even more. I wish you were here with me.

I know I've told you I love you, but I thought I might list the reasons. I know I'm a sap, but I can't help it.

1. You are strong & stubborn. You know what you want and you get it. You don't let anyone walk over you, even me. It's something that drives me crazy sometimes, but I wouldn't change it or you.

2. You are kindhearted. You remind me of my mum in that way. I know you go see Dad and Mike when I am gone. Dad tells me you bring him food and make sure him and Mike are all right. It means a lot to my Dad, and to me.

3. You are humble. You never tell me that you've gone to see my family. You just do.

4. You are patient, usually. You deal with my crazy life. How we are always late because I've just got a song idea and I can't be bothered to leave until I've got it down.

5. You love me and take care of me. Even when I'm unlovable.

6. You are beautiful and sexy and I'm so lucky to have you as mine.

I want to marry you! I want to have loads of babies with you! I agree, that we are not ready yet, though. When we get married I want it to be a time when we can be together always. So, even though I want to every time I see you, I won't ask you to marry me, yet. Just know, when the time is right, I will.

I'll love you always,

Paul

I was crying by the end of the letter. It was partly out of happiness, but also out of fear. I knew we would not get married. We would get engaged and then I would vanish before we could get married. I dwelled on that thought for a while, but then I picked myself back up. If I only had a finite amount of time with Paul, I was not going to waste it dwelling on the time we would no longer be together.

I put the letter with the others he had written to me. I put them in a small locked box where I kept the few things I had brought from the future. Including the book about Paul's early life. I knew I could probably use the book as proof of my time travel, however I still wasn't ready to tell him. My instincts had steered me in the right direction thus far, and I would continue to rely on them.

Soon Paul was back in Liverpool, but there was no stopping the Beatles train. They had shows and studio time in London. They recorded another one of their original songs while they were in London, called "Please, Please Me". After they recorded it, George Martin told them he was sure they had just recorded their first #1.

***

I was able to accompany Paul to Hamburg in December. We traveled by plane, which was so much better than train and ferry. They also had their own rooms in the hotel again. They were definitely moving up in the world.

We spent Christmas with the guys and Cyn. It was a really great Christmas, as these guys were family, too. I gave Paul a framed picture of the two of us, taken on Paul's birthday. Paul and I are sitting on the couch at his dad's house. Paul's arm is around me and his other arm is in his lap, holding my hand. We are both smiling happily.

"Dad took this didn't he?" he asked.

"Yes, after he took it I asked if I could have a copy. He was quite happy to give it. It's a good picture of us, isn't it?"

"I don't know about that ugly dark haired guy, but the girl sitting next to him is gorgeous" he said kissing me on the cheek. We'd been together over a year and he still knew how to make me blush.

Paul then handed me my present, it was a small box. Jewelry I was thinking. I was right. When I opened the box and saw what was inside, I was quite shocked. It was the locket Paul had given me in the future. A little shinier now, as it was brand new. Same heart shape with our initials inside. My hands were shaking as I opened it to see if the pictures were the same, they were.

"It's beautiful Paul. I'll never take it off" I said echoing what he had said to me when I gave him the I.D. bracelet. He was true to word; I hadn't seen it off him since.

Another thought crossed my mind as Paul fastened the necklace to me. In the future Paul had my necklace with him, this must mean that I had somehow left it in the past. If I made sure to keep the necklace on always, could I stop myself from returning to the future?