Chapter 40: Christmas 1964

Paul was very busy during the month of December. In fact, he had shows in London on the day before Christmas and the day after Christmas, giving us very little time to enjoy the holiday. However, we both really wanted to spend it with his family so we decided to drive to Liverpool after his show on Christmas eve. It would only give us a day and half before we would have to go back to London, but it was better than nothing.

We got to Liverpool very late Christmas Eve and we asked Jim where we were to sleep.

"You can both have Paul's old room." As he noticed our shocked expressions, he said "Do you not think I know you live together? Besides, with Ruth living here now, we don't have as much room." Then when we hesitated. "Go on, before I change my mind" So we hurried to Paul's room.

The next morning, we were woken very early. Ruth was ready to open her presents, and did not want to wait for us to wake up.

After we had opened everything, I went to the kitchen to help Angela with breakfast. We were about halfway through making the food, when Mike came in the kitchen and asked me to come into the living room.

"I'm making breakfast, Mike. Can it wait?"

"I don't think so, Paul said he needs to see you" That seemed weird, why wouldn't he have come to get me? I didn't ask any more questions though, and obediently followed Mike.

Paul was standing by the fireplace and he had a really strange expression on his face. I usually could read his face pretty well, but today I had no idea what he was thinking.

"Is everything okay, Paul?" I asked walking to stand beside him, concerned.

He cleared his throat and said "Yes, everything is fine. I just wanted to say something to you"

"Okay, what?" I was still really confused.

"Well, we've been together for over 3 years now. I love you more than you could ever know & I was wondering if you would promise to love me forever?" He then got down on one knee, pulled a box out from his pocket and asked "Anne, will you marry me?"

I hesitated for a moment. I didn't even look at the ring, I looked into his eyes. How could I commit to marrying him, when I knew I probably would not be here to actually have the ceremony? I couldn't say no though, not when every fiber of my being wanted to say yes. So, I went with my heart and said "Yes, of course!"

Paul put the ring on my finger and got up to kiss me. I was then enveloped by the rest of the family. My family, even if I never got to marry Paul.

"It's about time" said Mr. McCartney when he hugged me. "I couldn't have picked a better girl for my Paul"

"Thank you so much Mr. McCartney" I replied, very touched.

"I think you can call me Dad now, my girl" I hadn't cried when Paul proposed, probably out of shock, but that certainly made me tear up.

"Thank you so much, Dad" I said hugging him again.

After all the hugs and congratulations, I realized that I hadn't even looked at the ring. It was a gold ring with at least a 2 carat round solitaire sapphire set in it. It matched Paul's mother's earrings that he had given me. It couldn't have been more perfect.

After breakfast, Paul and I went back up to our shared room so we could be alone.

"Did you have to wait so long to say yes? I thought my heart was going to beat out of my bloody chest" he asked.

"You completely surprised me. How long have you had this planned?"

"I've had the ring for a few months. I got it about a week after we got back together and I've been waiting for the perfect time to ask you. I thought about New Years, you know the stroke of midnight and all that. Then I was sitting in the living room and I was thinking about how well you fit in with my family, and how much they love you and you them. So, it seemed like the perfect time then, in front of my family. Soon to be our family" he said with a smile.

"You're right, it was perfect. The ring is perfect, too. I love you so much"

"I love you, too" Then we were kissing, and we quietly made love in his childhood room, and it was pretty perfect, too.

On our drive home, we talked about wedding plans. He wanted to get married as soon as possible.

"I would like to take the time plan it properly, so maybe January 1966?" I would have married him on the spot, but I couldn't marry him and then leave. That wouldn't be fair to him. I wanted to wait until I was sure I would still be around, and I knew that was 1966.

"Do you really need that long?" he asked incredulously.

"Yes, especially with your schedule"

"Whatever you want, luv. But if you change your mind, tomorrow is good for me" And as tempting at marrying him tomorrow was, I couldn't do that to him.

That night after the show we announced our happy news to the rest of the guys. Everyone was happy for us, and Brian went into plan mode. When we would announce the engagement, etc. We told him to wait until the press got wind of it, there was no reason to announce anything otherwise. Paul would be hit with the questions about when the wedding would be and we didn't want the speculation.

Patty was there with George, but when he hugged me after the announcement he whispered in my ear "Congrats, luv. Remember, if you change your mind I'm here" he winked at me as he pulled away. He was definitely joking. I saw the way he looked at Patty now, they were in love and he had gotten over me. I was glad for it, because I didn't want to hurt him anymore.

We went to a party on New Year's eve, evidently it was there that Paul had originally planned to propose. I was glad he hadn't though, as there were way too many people at the party. The proposal at his dad's house had been just us and his family, and much more what I had imagined. Although, Paul could have proposed anywhere and I would have said yes.

When the clock struck twelve, we kissed and when we pulled apart I had a strange feeling. It was now 1965, the year I would disappear suddenly. I would most likely be sent back to my time and Paul had no idea about any of it. There was no more time to think about when I would let him in on this huge secret. I could no longer hide it from him, because what if I disappeared before he knew the truth? He would be devastated and so would I. It would kill me to know that he thought I had left him, when it was the last thing I'd ever want to happen. Especially now that we were engaged.

Paul sensed my dismay. "What's wrong, Anne?"

I looked into his eyes, shook my head and said "Not here Paul, let's go home. There's something I really need to tell you".