Chapter 27: They Say It's Your Birthday

The next few days held much less drama than the first one. We were able to spend half of our time at Astrid's house, which I enjoyed very much. It was in a good part of town & Paul and I had our own room. It felt almost like we were home again and that was wonderful.

On May 9th, we had stayed the night before at Astrid's, but we were supposed to meet everyone for lunch. Instead of being lazy and lounging in bed, we had to get up as it was a little distance back to the Reeperbahn.

When we got to the little café we were meeting at, George, John, Pete & Cyn were already there. They were laughing and celebrating something. When John saw us he called us over.

"We've just had a telegram from Brian. We've got a recording contract with Parlaphone." John said when we had made our way over. "We go to London on the 6th of June"

Paul stood there shocked for a moment, and then he was hugging John and everyone else after. It was the best news possible. It was finally happening! I took out my camera, to record this moment in history. When I looked at the pictures later they really captured that moment in time, the excitement in their faces was apparent.

A few days later, it was my birthday. We had once again spent the night at Astrid's, and this time we had taken advantage of the privacy and were sleeping in. I woke up when Paul pulled away from me and got out of the bed.

He reached into his bag and pulled out a small present. When he came back to me he said "Happy Birthday, luv" and handed me the package.

I opened it and it was a lense for my camera I had been wanting to get.

"Paul" I began, and he interrupted.

"There will be no talk of the expense. I've saved some money from being here & I wanted to get it for you"

"Thank you, baby. I love it & you" I said kissing him.

"I'm glad you like it, but it's not very romantic. So I thought I would play you that song I was telling you about" he said sitting up and reaching for his acoustic guitar.

"Really? I've been wanting to hear it"

"Okay, it's not quite finished" he said and started to play

As I write this letter

Send my love to you

Remember that I'll always

Be in love with you

Treasure these few words 'till we're together

Keep all my love forever

P.S., I love you

You, you, you

I'll be coming home again to you, love

And 'till the day I do, love

P.S., I love you

You, you, you

As I write this letter

Send my love to you

Remember that I'll always

Be in love with you

Treasure these few words 'till we're together

Keep all my love forever

P.S., I love you

You, you, you

As I write this letter

Send my love to you

Remember that I'll always

Be in love with you

I'll be coming home again to you, love

And 'till the day I do, love

P.S., I love you

You, you, you

I didn't say anything at first and he started talking before I did "I want to add a bit at the end, I dunno."

"I love it!" I said, finally. I had heard it before, on one of Sandy's many Beatles records.

"Yes, well I got the idea after that first letter I wrote to you when John and I went to Paris. Not a very deep song, but I think it sounds pretty good. It's not exactly about you, but its definitely inspired by you."

"It's very catchy, Paul. I think it's beautiful. You are so talented, that's one of the reason's I love you. That and you are so devastatingly handsome, I can barely stand to look at you'" I said putting my head on my head in a dramatic fashion.

It made him laugh and he put his guitar down and reached for me.

We got through the rest of the month without any more big fights. Although, it was a little awkward between George and I. and I tried to be more conscious of the time I spent with George. So that may have been part of it. To make sure we were not alone to avoid another scene, although I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen again. I knew Paul felt pretty bad about the whole thing.

However, there was one moment, a few days after my birthday when I found myself alone with George.

I had forgotten my jacket in the boy's room and when I got there to retrieve it George was there. I hadn't really talked to him about what had happened, so I took the opportunity to then.

"We never got to talk about Paul's craziness the other day. I'm sorry about that" I said to him.

"Nothing to be sorry about, luv. Paul's just a little jealous I guess. There's no need because I wouldn't try anything. Not while you guys are still dating. I like being in the Beatles too much for that" he said giving me one of his crooked smiles.

I hesitated before speaking because I wasn't sure I should ask, but I wanted to know. "But, if Paul and I weren't dating?"

"Well, I think you're a great girl and he would be an idiot to give you up. But, yeah if you weren't dating Paul, well, I would definitely go for ya" he said a little shyly.

I had to take another moment to decide what I would reply. I decided the truth would be the best thing. "Truthfully, I could see myself falling for you if I'd never met Paul. You are so cute and really one of my best friends. But, I have met him and I think we'll be together for a long time." I went over and touched his shoulder and he looked back up at me as he had been looking down while I was talking. "Besides you deserve someone who would choose you first, no matter what other guys were in her life. I love you, as a friend, and I want that for you"

I pulled him into a hug, because I didn't like the thought of hurting him.

"It's okay, Anne. I understand. I don't mind being just friends at all. So I hope I haven't just ruined it" he said

"No of course not, but I'd better stop hugging you" I said pulling away from him. "I don't want Paul walking in & flipping out again"

He laughed at that, and we were back to being friends. I didn't avoid him after that either. There wasn't anything going on and Paul would just have to allow me to have him as a friend. He wasn't possessive like that normally, and that was one of the reasons his blow up at George had surprised me so much. I knew it was partly my fault, because I was hiding a rather large part of my story from him. For the sake of the relationship, at least I think that was why I couldn't tell him. I knew I eventually would have to tell him, but now did not feel right.

When it was time to leave Hamburg I was surprisingly sad. I had really enjoyed my time there, getting to know Astrid especially. I'd taken a lot of good pictures there as well. But it was time to get back. The boys were getting a recording contract, and life would become even more hectic from then on.