Chapter 41: The Truth

It was about 1 p.m. when we made it home. It probably would have been better to tell Paul about my time travel at a more decent time, but I was a little bit panicked. It was now 1965, and I had no time to lose.

I made him sit down and asked him "Do you think I'm crazy, you know mental?" He laughed thinking I must be joking. "No I really mean it"

"Well, no not most of the time. You do have your moments, you know, but I think that's how all girls are"

I lightly smacked his shoulder at that comment. "Ok, so I'm going to take that as a no. I'm about to tell you something that is going to seem really crazy, but I want you to remember that I'm not crazy. I really want you to believe me"

"Ok, luv. What is it?" He seemed to be really worried about what I was about to say. He had no idea.

"I'll start from beginning. I was born in 1998, not 1943." He looked at me like I thought he would, like I was crazy. He opened his mouth to say something, but I interrupted him. "Let me finish, please! Then you can pick apart what I'm saying"

He shook his head, trying to clear it and said "Ok, Anne. You were born in 1998"

"Yes, 1998. In 2015 I graduated from high school and I took a trip to England with my best friend Sandy. We went to many places, but the place Sandy wanted to visit the most was Liverpool. Her favorite band was from there, The Beatles" He definitely looked at me like I was nuts then, but he didn't interrupt. "While we were in Liverpool she wanted to go see a concert of one of the remaining Beatles. He just happened to be playing at the Cavern, his name was Paul McCartney"

He couldn't keep from speaking up then. "What the fuck are you going on about, Anne? This makes no bloody sense"

"I'm trying to explain it Paul, let me finish" I pleaded with him "While we were at the concert, we were picked to meet Sir Paul McCartney after the show. When he saw me, he was shocked to see me and called me by my name. I was shocked because I'd never met him. He played it off, but before we left he gave me a locket. This locket" I said pointing to the one he had given me; the one I never took off. "He also signed a picture of himself and wrote a note to me on it. I have proof" I said, reaching for the locked box I always kept under the bed. I opened it and took out the photograph, I had brought it to the past for this exact reason.

I handed it to him, but he didn't look at it at first. He was busy looking at me with doubt in his eyes. "Look at the photo, Paul" I pleaded with him.

When he looked down, he saw himself. A much older version of him, but it couldn't be denied. "He looks a little like my dad" He was shocked. "It's my handwriting, too. How is this possible Anne? I don't know how to believe it"

"I'm not exactly sure how it was possible, but in that note you said "come back to me" and the locket had our pictures in it. So somehow I believed you. There was also other evidence" I said pulling out my other source of proof, the book I had taken from the library. I turned to the page that had the information about our relationship and handed the book to him. He read it carefully, then looked back up at me.

"What does this mean? We broke up in 1965? It's 1965 now."

I couldn't imagine what was going through his head, so I answered the best I knew how. "I don't think we broke up Paul. I think I went back to my time. You see, I time traveled from 2015 back to 1961. I found out how to in a book, and it was surprisingly easy. Almost too easy. I think somehow my time is up here, sometime in 1965. That's why I'm telling you this now. I want to try to stop it of course, but if it can't be stopped, I want you to know I would never leave you like that."

"This is just so crazy; how can I believe it? I don't think you'd lie to me, and this would be a huge one. But, it's almost unbelievable." He looked absolutely bewildered.

I thought for a moment, then said "I have an idea. This book is of the Beatles early years, but goes up to 1966, so it should have all of the songs you are currently working on. Think of a song that you and John may have worked on, that I haven't heard yet" They had an album to record soon, and were currently working on songs.

He thought for a minute and said "There is one. It's called "Ticket to Ride" that is if we don't change it"

I nodded and looked in the book for the song, it took me a few minutes, but I found it. "Here, it is. It has the lyrics listed" It also had a picture of them performing it, but of course they hadn't yet performed it live.

"Christ! That's it. One of the lyrics is different though, but it's one we'd already decided needed to be changed. This so crazy"

"I know it is. I'm sorry I never told you before this, I just wasn't sure about how you would react. I know you've always suspected that I was hiding something from you, well this is it" I was so relieved to finally have told him, but was still anxious about how he was taking it.

"Yes, I always felt like you weren't telling me everything, but I guess I understand why you didn't. How exactly did you time travel, with a machine?"

I told him the whole story, reading the time travel book, coming back to England and traveling back to meet him.

"How can we stop you from traveling back?" He asked after I had explained everything.

"I'm not sure, but I have a plan. In the future you handed me this locket, so I must not have had it on when I left. I plan on never taking it off, so maybe I won't have to leave. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's all I have. Please know, I don't want to leave. Even when we broke up I didn't want to leave. I know I belong with you here and I don't know what I'll do if I travel back" I began to cry then, because just thinking about never being with him again was devastating.

"Shh, luv. Don't cry. We'll think of something. In that book it says I never get married, is that right?" I nodded and he continued. "You're the only one I can ever see marrying, if you're gone I understand why I didn't"

I didn't want that for him, a life of loneliness. "Paul, I want you to promise me that if I leave & I can't find a way to return you will find someone else and marry them. I want you to have someone in your life and kids. You need kids. I'll probably be so jealous of whoever she is, but I want you to be happy."

"I'm not sure I'll be able to, but I promise to try." He paused for a moment then. "Please don't leave! It will kill me!" He was crying then, too.

"It will kill me, too. I'll do whatever I can to stop it, I promise" Saying that made me remember something else that was very important.

"Paul, there's something else. In 2015, John & George aren't there anymore. They're dead. I want you to try to help me change that, too."