Chapter 47: 1966?

I arrived at the house Paul and I had shared in the morning. There was a man there to let me in. He left me the key, and was on his way. The house had been cleaned and all of the sheets were off of the furniture. The refrigerator was stocked as well, and it made me smile. Paul was still trying to take care of me.

I put on the clothes I had been wearing the last time I saw Paul. I went back up to our bedroom. I was so nervous, because I had gotten my hopes up and if this didn't work I wasn't sure how I would react. I found another letter on the night stand. Written on the outside of the envelope was:

Anne,

I wrote this letter 2 weeks after you left me in 1965. I've written you a letter every week since. I hope this one helps you be able to come back to me, I needed you desperately then.

Love,

Paul

I opened the letter with shaking hands. It read:

My Dearest Anne,

It's been two weeks since you've gone, vanished in front of me. I go to sleep at night, hoping that in the morning you will be back, but you never are.

I know you've told me I will meet you again in 2015, but it seems like a tortuously long time to have to wait to see your beautiful face again.

I hope you and the baby are well. I know there has to be a reason you can't come back to me, and I think it may be that you need to stay to take care of the baby. That is the only comfort I take from this.

I need you so badly, you are all I see when I close my eyes. I'm not a religious man, but I've started praying every night that you will come back to me. If it's possible I know I will see you again soon.

I love you, always have and always will.

Love,

Paul

Reading that letter filled me with such sorrow, but also hope. Somehow, I had a feeling I would be able to time travel now. I had decided to travel back to August 31st, 1966. 5 years to the day that I first appeared in Liverpool in 1961. It would be almost 18 months after I disappeared, but the date seemed right to me. My gut had never let me down before, so I knew it was the right date.

I strapped my bag with my important items in it across me, and laid down on the bed. Clutching Paul's letter in my hand I began to chant "August 31st, 1966, August 31st, 1966, August 31st, 1966 over and over again.

About five minutes into my chanting I felt that strange feeling again. I opened my eyes to a changed room. It was painted a different color from when I had been there in 1965, but the furniture was the same. I was filled with elation, so grateful to have succeeded finally.

I sensed someone in the bed with me and when I turned to look there was a naked girl beside me. She had red hair and I couldn't see her face, but I surmised it was Jane Asher. I'd read Paul had started dating her about a year after I'd left. I wasn't exactly upset to see her, I had told him to move on after all, but it that didn't mean I had to like it. Seeing her there was a shock to my system, but I knew the bigger picture was that I was here for Paul. I had been gone a year and a half and it was wrong of me to expect he wouldn't have tried to move on.

Paul was nowhere to be seen, so I quietly eased off the bed and tiptoed out of the room, hoping I wouldn't wake Jane. That would be entirely too awkward.

When I got into the hall, I could hear some music being played. I knew exactly where Paul was. My first instinct was to run to him, but the sound of me running may have woken up Jane so I made myself walk quietly up to the music room.