Chapter 43: Preparations

A couple days before the wedding Patty and George came over. Patty was there to help me decide what to do with my hair and makeup for the wedding, as I was hopeless. She and I had become really good friends the past few months.

I had already picked out a wedding dress before we went to the Bahamas. It was a simple white dress that was fairly loose but skimmed down my body, had cap sleeves and was embroidered on the sleeves and neckline. I loved it. Patty was busy admiring it, when I asked her if she wanted a cup of tea. She did, so I headed down to the kitchen to get it for her.

I ran smack dab into George on my way down the stairs. He had to steady me, so I wouldn't fall down the rest of the stairs.

"Sorry, George. I guess I wasn't paying attention" He still had his arms around me from steadying me, and I couldn't resist giving him a quick squeeze back.

When I stepped out of his arms and looked up at him, he was smiling at me. "What was that for, luv?" he asked.

"You know I love you George. Do I have to have a reason to hug my friend?" My real reasoning was simple; I wasn't sure if I would be here to hug him much longer. I wished I could tell him how much I would miss him if that were to happen, but a hug would have to do.

"No, I guess not. You need to be more careful though, running down those stairs you've got a baby in there" he said.

"And don't I know it. I sometimes think he or she hates me. Don't worry, George I won't let anything happen to your god child"

"My god child, really?" He grinned as if he liked the idea.

"Yes of course! I wouldn't want anyone else. I haven't talked to Paul about it, but I know he wouldn't mind"

"I'd be honored, Anne" he said, hugging me this time.

"Good, then he or she can call you Uncle George" I said into his shoulder. He quite liked that idea, as did I. I imagined him and Patty coming over often to play with the baby. The image was a happy one, and I dearly hoped it would come true.

We pulled away from each other, and set about the tasks we'd had before running into each other.

The day before the wedding was to take place, Paul and I stayed home enjoying time alone together. We were going to have a small wedding in the garden of our home. Paul's family would be coming the next morning to witness it, as well as the other Beatles. It would be small, about 30 people in attendance, which was perfectly fine with me. We would be surrounded by the people that meant the most to us.

The only other person I wished could be there, was not even born yet. My friend Sandy. I had been thinking about her a lot leading up to the wedding. The pregnancy was what had made me miss her so much. We had always planned to have children around the same age so they could be best friends, too. A little silly, but I would have liked nothing better for Sandy to be here when I had the baby. She also would have been my maid of honor in the wedding. So, instead I decided to forgo a maid of honor altogether. Mike was to be Paul's best man.

We spent the day talking and planning as if we had all the time in the world to be together. We were in denial, because it was too painful to think that I could be leaving. When we were finally married I could finally believe that there was a good chance I would get to stay.

We made love slowly and tenderly. Afterwards, Paul was studying my belly.

"I think you've grown a little here" he said caressing the slight bump low on my stomach that signified there was a baby in there. "What do you think we should name this little one?"

"I think James for sure if it's a boy" James had been my father's name as well, so that was an easy decision. "I'm not sure about a girl. My mom's name was Sarah and yours was Mary. I think either of those would be good. What do you think?"

"Yes, I agree with James. Sarah Mary or Mary Sarah, I dunno doesn't sound quite right. We've got some time though, don't we? 6 more months?"

"Hopefully" I said, breaking the spell of denial.

"Stop that, luv. I know we're going to have many more years together. This baby has to mean that. You need to be here with me to raise the baby, the alternative is just wrong. You belong here with me, and I don't want to think of what could happen. I just want to be happy for once, instead of always thinking about the bad things that could happen" he said quite passionately.

I hadn't thought of how much of a downer I must have been. Whenever we talked about happy things, I always added caveat that I may not be here. "You're right Paul. I'll try not to talk about it so much. You know I want to stay here more than anything and I'd do anything to make that happen."

He kissed me "I know that, luv." We settled back into quietly talking, this time about much happier and optimistic topics. How we were going to raise the baby, and Paul started talking about buying a farm as he had always wanted one. The thought was a pleasant one, our children growing up surrounded by nature.

Paul got up soon after, as he had a song he wanted to finish up. I could have stayed in bed with him all day, but his music was part of him. There was no such thing as a vacation from being a songwriter, as the songs often came when they wanted to.

I went to take a shower, because we had lazed around in bed all day and I hadn't had a chance. Before the locket had broken, I would shower with it, but put a plastic a bag around the part with the locket on it. Now that is was broken, I still wrapped it in plastic and brought it to the shower, but had to put it down occasionally. I finished my shower, and I put the locket on the counter so I could towel dry and put on my clothes.

I had just finished dressing when I heard Paul call out my name.

I walked out of the bathroom and found him sitting on the bed with my locked box on his lap.

"I've just finished the song, and I was curious to see if it was in your book" he said with a big grin. "Can you see if it's in there?" he asked.

"Of course you big goof-ball" I said, I couldn't resist kissing him. Then I grabbed the box from him, found the key and opened it. I pulled the book out and set it to the side.

'Okay, so what's this song you've written?"

"Well it's called "I've just seen a face" it's this..." He said more, but I wasn't paying attention. I had seen something shiny in the box I hadn't seen before.

I reached down to pull it out. It was a penny. I didn't remember having any American money in the box, but maybe it had been lost in the pages of the book. I then brought the penny to eye level and peered at the date, it said 2019.

I stared at the date and then into Paul's eyes, when I began to have a strange yet familiar feeling. I reached out to him, and yelled "I love you" when all of the sudden he vanished. I was disoriented for a moment, and my eyes were closed. When I opened them I was still in our bedroom, but it looked very different. The furniture was covered in sheets and it all seemed a bit dusty.

I tried to deny what I knew must have happened, but it couldn't be denied. I was no longer in 1965.