Chapter 39: A Gate

Before we set off for the Liverpool, Paul gave me back his mother's earrings.

"These belong to you, luv" he said. I put them back into my ears, and I felt a sense of peace. Everything seemed right with the world again.

We set off for Liverpool the next morning. When we arrived at Mr. McCartney's house, I was a little nervous. Paul hadn't let him know I was coming. I was afraid Mr. McCartney might be upset with me for breaking Paul's heart. As we were walking up the steps to the door, I told Paul as much.

"Don't be nervous, luv. Like I told you before, he was mad at me, not you. He loves you like a daughter, and you can do no wrong in his book. A bit annoying that, because then I get blamed for everything" he said with a wry smile, and knocked on the door.

Mr. McCartney opened the door and did a double take. "Anne!" he said pulling me into a hug. "I'm so glad to see you!" When he let me go, he looked at Paul and then me again. "I guess you forgave him for being an idiot, then? I'm glad of it, though he probably didn't deserve it" He smiled at Paul and pulled him into a hug as well.

We followed him into the living room where Angela, Mike, and Ruth were waiting. It was wonderful to be with them again, especially on such a wonderful occasion. Jim & Angela were married in a small ceremony the next day. Mr. McCartney planned to adopt little Ruth after the wedding, so Paul was getting a step-mother and a sister in one day. He was quite happy about it.

I was sad when we had to leave, but there was not a lot of off time when you were a Beatle. Paul needed to get back to record their next record.

On the car ride home, I told him about George. I almost didn't tell him at all, because we weren't together at the time and we hadn't gone too far. However, what if George mentioned it to him? I didn't think that was likely, but if Paul found out about it from someone else, he would be very upset. I didn't want anything else to mess with our relationship.

"I need to tell you something" I said. He looked at me and I knew I had his full attention. "When we were apart, George and I spent some time together." His eyes widened slightly, but I went on before he could draw the wrong conclusion "We didn't sleep together, but we did mess around. No clothes came off or anything"

He hit his hands on the steering wheel "Christ, I knew he had a thing for you."

"Well, yes for quite a while. I never told you about it when I found out he liked me that way, because I didn't want you to be mad at him. He knows I love you, and that's the reason we didn't go too far. Because I still loved you, and because I didn't want to mess up the relationship you and George have. I still don't want that to happen"

"How am I supposed to look at him knowing he's touched my girl in ways I don't want to think about?" he said angrily.

"The same way I try not to think about the girls that you've had, and we didn't even go that far at all. Also, he didn't do anything that I didn't want to happen"

He didn't speak for a few minutes, then sighed and asked "Are you attracted to him, too?"

It was my turn to pause, to decide how much of the truth I should tell him. There was no point lying. "Yes I am, but not like I am to you. I love him as a friend, but not the way I love you. I told him that if I had never met you, he and I would probably be together." He looked angrily over at me0 when I said that. "But, I have met you and you're the only one for me. There's no one that even comes close, even George"

He swallowed, trying to hold back his emotions "Ok, Anne. I'll let it go. I don't like that it happened, but I won't let it mess up you and me"

"Or George and you?"