Chapter 22: Christmas 1961

It was November 9th, 1961. A normal day for me, a school day. Paul and the Beatles had a lunch performance, that I couldn't go to because of school. Paul usually was back home by the time I got off school and he was often asleep because they then had a performance that night as well.

When I go home that day, he was nowhere to be seen. It wasn't the norm, but not completely unusual. Sometimes he and John got caught up in songwriting or something else to do with the band.

He didn't show up at all, so I decided to head to where they were playing for that nights show, the Litherland town hall. I found him in the bands room with the other guys, they were talking quite excitedly.

"Hey, luv. Sorry I didn't make it home today" he said, kissing me.

"What's going on?" I asked, something must have judging by the energy in the room.

"Well, you know that record store NEMS, right?' I nodded, we'd been there a few times to buy records. He went on "Well the owner came to the Cavern today to see our show, Brian Epstein. Some of the fans that go to the Cavern came in and asked for a copy of "My Bonnie" by the Beatles. Which is a laugh, because we only backed Tony Sheridan, it's his record." He said pausing to laugh about it. I remembered him telling me about recording that while in Hamburg. They had thought they were going to get to record their songs, but they were just there to back Sheridan. "Mr. Epstein liked us a lot and he hasn't offered anything, but we think he may want to manage us. Well, were not sure if we want him to, but it's pretty exciting"

It was an exciting time. Brian Epstein came to several more of their shows over the next few weeks. I met him at one of them. A nice man, a little older than the Beatles, with a proper English accent. Brian asked to be their manager, and after a while they agreed. Now that they had a manager things began to change rather quickly.

Brian didn't like the leather they wore on stage. He wanted them to be more presentable. He made them go buy suits. Paul was quite happy to do it, he really wanted the band to be successful. John and George dragged their feet a little. They thought they were selling out. In the end, they went and got their suits as well.

Bryan worked fast and soon he told the boys the news that an A&R man from Decca Record Company would be coming to see their show at the Cavern, on Dec. 13th.

This was their big break! They were more excited than I had ever seen them. The 13th came around and they performed pretty well for being as nervous as they were. The Decca A&R man, Mike Smith, did not sign them on the spot as they hoped. Instead, he gave them another chance and asked them to come record a demo at the Decca Studios on Jan. 1st.

The rest of the month was busy for them. I didn't see a lot of Paul as he was either playing a show or practicing with the band to get ready for Decca. They did, however, take a few days off for Christmas. We spent most of those days locked in my flat spending much needed alone time together

We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas day at the McCartney's house. We decided to spend the night, so we wouldn't have to travel there Christmas morning. I slept in Paul's old room and Paul had the couch. Paul snuck up to my room that night, and we made out for a while. He wanted to go further, but I respected his father too much for that and told him he had to go back downstairs. He was not happy about it, but I kissed his pouty lips (especially pouty when he was upset) and he grudgingly left for the couch.

I had thought long and hard about what to get Paul for Christmas. I decided on an amp he had been admiring lately. Not very personal, but something I knew he would be excited about.

As he opened the amp, his eyes lit up becoming even bigger than normal. "It's wonderful, Anne, but too expensive. You shouldn't have" he said frowning a little, thinking about the cost of it.

"Don't be silly, Paul. I can afford. I told you I have some money from my parents. And besides you'll need it for your big recording session" I said smiling at him.

"Ta, luv. I love it & I love you!" he said, giving me a chaste kiss, as his dad was sitting 5 feet away from us.

Paul then handed me my present from him. It was small wrapped box. As I unwrapped it, I realized it was a jewelry box. I opened the lid and found a pair of gold earrings with a small solitaire sapphire set in each.

"They're beautiful Paul" This time it was me thinking about the cost. I knew he didn't have much to his name.

As if he could read my thoughts, Paul said "Don't worry, luv. I didn't buy them, although one day I'll buy you mounds of jewelry" he said. "They were my mum's. Dad bought them for her for their first Christmas together. We thought you might like them" he said smiling at his Dad and then turning back to me, trying to read my face. By that time tears were streaming down my face.

"I love them! They're the best present I've ever gotten" I said hugging Paul and then going over to hug Mr. McCartney. They were the best present I had ever gotten, because of the what they meant to these people. They were becoming my family, and Paul my whole world.

New Year's Eve rolled around and Paul and the boys were to leave for their audition at Decca. I couldn't come, because they didn't have room in their van and they would only be gone 2 days at the most.

"I wish I was here to kiss you at midnight" Paul said before they left.

"You'll just have to kiss me know" I said, and he did.

"Do your best and bring home that recording contract" I said to all of them as they got into the van and "I love you!" to Paul.

Then they were off, to make history. Not for being signed to a recording contract, but for being turned down for one.