Chapter 35: Surprise?

I didn't sleep much that night, I was thinking about what I needed to do. Things were not going well between Paul and I. Something needed to change.

After several hours, I made up my mind. I was going to quit my job. Not because Paul demanded I do it, but because I only had a 1 ½ years left with him, if I was lucky. I could take pictures anywhere. I could still do what I loved, and be with the man I loved at the same time.

First I called my boss and told him I had to quit. He was not happy about the short notice and yelled a little, but there was nothing to be done about it. I needed to be with Paul.

I then called Ringo, and asked if I could accompany him to Australia that evening. He had gotten out of the hospital a couple days before and was scheduled to fly to Australia to rejoin the Beatles. He had no problem with it, and said he would enjoy the company.

I then called Paul's hotel in Australia, but he must not have been in because no one picked up. I knew he wouldn't mind me coming, anyway. So, I packed up and met Ringo at the airport.

The flight to Australia was so long. I knew that If Paul tried to call me he would not reach me for two days, but I figured he would be fine once I showed up and surprised him.

I slept a little on the plane, but I was still exhausted by the time we reached Australia. We arrived quite late, the boys had already played their show that night and we were able to get into the hotel without too much trouble. Even tired, I was excited about surprising Paul.

When we entered the suite the guys were sharing, I saw John and George sitting on the couch. I couldn't see Paul anywhere. John and George looked quite shocked to see me.

George hopped up and put his hands up like he was holding me back "Anne, what are you doing here?".

Not quite the reaction I was expecting "I've quit my job, and I came to surprise Paul. Why, where is he? In his room?"

"No, Anne...Umm...He's" George said fumbling, something was obviously very wrong. My pulse began to speed up.

"Where is he George?" He didn't say anything. "John?" He just shook his head at me. "Whatever it is. I'm going to find out anyway. Where the hell is he?" I asked again. This time George feebly pointed to a closed door.

I hurried over there and opened it. The image I saw when I opened the door is something that is branded in my mind.

The first thing I saw was breasts. Enormous ones. An attractive blond haired girl was sitting on the bed in only her underwear, she looked like she was trying to put her bra back on. Paul was sitting on the other side of the bed, also only clad in his underwear.

It was so shocking and heart wrenching that it took me a moment to process it. I stood at the door for a moment in shock. Paul's voice calling out my name brought me back to reality. I looked at him, his face was white and he had started to get up from the bed.

I stumbled back into the main room and into George. "George, please get me away from here" I implored him desperately. He nodded and brought me to his room before Paul reached us. George pushed me in, and then closed the door leaving me alone.

"Anne! Let me in, George!" I heard Paul yelling.

"No, you go deal with that other girl first. I'll talk to Anne, and see if she wants to talk to you" George told him.

"Bloody hell" Paul said.

He must have gone away because George came back in the room.

I sat on the bed with my head in my hands, too shocked still to do anything even cry. I knew the others had cheated on their wives or girlfriends, but I never thought Paul would do that to me. He'd promised he wouldn't.