Chapter 42: Help!

"They're dead? How?" Paul asked, his face ashen.

"John is shot and killed by a crazy person in 1980. He was only 40. I hate myself, but I didn't pay much attention to the date or the exact circumstances. All I know is it happens in 1980 and in New York. I wish I knew more details, but hopefully that will be enough to stop it"

"Shot?" His face was white. "I'll try my best to stop it, although I don't know how I can." He swallowed then asked. "What about George?" I knew he was afraid to hear the answer.

"George may be easier. He dies in 2001 from cancer. It's from smoking, Paul, and if we can get him to stop now, we may save him"

Paul, who at that moment was smoking a cigarette, looked at it, and then stubbed it out. "I guess I should quit, too"

"That would be for the best"

"I'll try to get George to quit, too. Although I'm not sure how"

"I mean you all should probably quit, but George for sure. I wouldn't tell him about the time travel bit, he probably would not believe you. I'm sorry to place all of this on you, but if I go you'll be the only one that knows what happens to them."

So we made a plan. We would double team George to try to get him to stop. Paul would also quit smoking cigarettes, but he wanted to keeping smoking pot. Which I told him was fine on occasion. I didn't really know if marijuana smoke caused cancer as well, but I knew for certain cigarettes did. Paul had a really hard time quitting though. Smoking was so prevalent in those days. You were allowed to smoke everywhere, not like my hometown where you couldn't even smoke in bars anymore. He would go to the studio and everyone was smoking, so he slipped a few times. However, he knew how important it was, so after about a month he was no longer smoking. I think we should have invested in gum at that point though, because he went through so much of it.

George saw no reason to stop, and because we couldn't tell him the truth we were having a hard time with him.

In January we moved into our house as scheduled. The room and privacy were glorious. I enjoyed buying furniture for it and setting it up exactly how we wanted. Paul even had a music room in the attic, which he loved.

One day, in early February, my period was due to start. I did have some light bleeding that day, but not the normal huge amount that I usually passed. My periods had sometimes been erratic, so I didn't think much of it. Then a few days later my breasts felt tender, but I again dismissed it because they were sometimes tender during my period as well. Then, a couple weeks after the light bleeding, I started to feel sick to my stomach. A stomach virus, I assured myself. However, when it became an everyday occurrence that was worse in the morning, I knew. I was most likely pregnant.

How could I have been so careless? We had always been good about birth control, but after getting back together in the fall we sometimes forgot. Not exactly forgot, but didn't care.

When Paul got home that evening, I knew I needed to tell him.

"Paul, I think I'm pregnant" I told him, I wasn't sure what his reaction would be, but he was overjoyed.

"Really" he said, smiling so big and coming over to pull me into a hug, and putting his hand on my still flat belly. "When is the baby due?"

"I'm not sure. I don't think I'm very far along, maybe 6-7 weeks. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to confirm. Can you come?"

"I think we have a meeting for the movie tomorrow, but I'll cancel." They were due to start filming the movie "Help!" in a few days in the Bahamas.

All of the sudden Paul got even more excited. "Anne where is that book you have about me?" I looked at him questionably. "Just turn it to the bit about you, I won't look at the rest" I wouldn't let him see the rest of the book, because I didn't want him to know everything that would happen to him in the next 2 years.

I obediently got the book out of the locked box and opened it to the passage he wanted to read. "See, I knew it!" he said pointing at the passage.

"What, Paul?"

"It doesn't say anything about your pregnancy here. Maybe this book is wrong and you can stay here" he said excitedly, but I read something entirely different into that information.

"Maybe it means I lost the baby, Paul. Or maybe it means I left before we could announce it" I hated to be such a downer, but I knew if I got my hopes up too much, I would be crushed when the inevitable happened.

The excitement was drained from his face when I said that. "Oh God, Anne. I hope not."

We went to the doctor as scheduled the next day, and it was confirmed. I was pregnant. It was happiness mixed with a strong dose of sorrow. There was nothing to do but move on with the pregnancy like nothing bad would happen, because we couldn't be sure anything would.

Our first instinct was to hide the pregnancy from everyone, however we soon realized we would have to tell the others. I would be traveling with them to all of their location shoots for the movie. I now had all day sickness from the pregnancy, and it would be pretty hard to hide I was sick all of the time.

So we told them the day before we were to travel to the Bahamas. They were shocked, but happy for us. Brian wanted to know when the wedding would be, because he didn't want there to be a scandal. We had already decided to get married when we got back to London after shooting the bits of the movie that were filmed out of country. Brain was relieved to hear that. I would be about 11 weeks pregnant then, and probably not showing much.

We traveled to the Bahamas and they were to shoot their warm weather scenes there, but it was the middle of winter and freezing. I almost felt bad for them, but I was too busy feeling sorry for myself. I did not have morning sickness, I had all day sickness. I only threw up a couple of times a day, but I was so nauseated the rest of the day. Food didn't taste right, it was horrible.

Besides that, I enjoyed it the Bahamas. It was beautiful there and I was with Paul, and he was so sweet to me. He was scared something was wrong because of how sick I was, but I had already been reassured by my doctor that it was completely normal.

Our next stop was Austria, for skiing scenes. I was afraid they were all going to die or hurt themselves because they had never skied before and they were put on skis and sent down the mountain. No lessons whatsoever. They fell quite a lot, but thankfully no was hurt too badly. Poor Paul was bruised up, but he would be fine. While we were there, the part of the locket that attached to the necklace broke. I didn't have a way of fixing it and I couldn't let it out of my sight to get fixed anyway. So, I made sure it was always on me, my pocket, in my bra, etc.

We made it back to London after a couple weeks in Austria. The reporters were in a frenzy when we landed. News of our engagement was out, and it was pointless to deny it at this point. So we told the truth, we were engaged and very happy to be so.

We had our small ceremony planned for 3 days after we got back, so the frenzy about the engagement would turn into frenzy about the marriage soon. I could not wait, and once we were married I would be able to finally breathe a sigh of relief. If we were married, then maybe I wouldn't have to return to my time.