Chapter 51: The Wedding

As George and I exited the back door I looked to find Paul. He was looking down at his feet at first, but when he noticed the audience rising he looked up. Our eyes met and it reminded very much like the first time I met him in 1961. We'd been through so much together and apart, but that instant attraction and feeling was still there. He was smiling at me and I couldn't help but smile back.

When we reached him he held out his hand and I took it, feeling a small shock go through me when our fingers touched. That hadn't changed either.

I realized then why Paul had been looking down when I first came out, he had been trying to keep from crying. He hadn't been successful because there were now tears streaming down his face. I put my hands to his face and wiped the tears away. He wasn't one to show his emotions like that especially in front of his friends, so it really touched me how emotional he was. I was usually the really emotional one, but at that point I was still able to hold it together.

We faced each other holding hands, alternating looking in each other's eyes & at the officiant as he was speaking. I really tried to pay attention to what the man was saying, but my mind was filled the enormity of this moment. We were finally here, getting married. It was something I'd wanted so badly and when I had returned to the future, I had almost lost all hope of it ever happening.

Paul and I had prepared our own vows, and I went first. Looking into his eyes I said "I have loved you for over 5 years and even through some tough times my love for you has never wavered. My love for you hasn't been changed by time or circumstance. I will never take you for granted because you are the one person I know I could never live without. I promise to always be by your side and love you through the good times and the bad. I promise to be faithful to you and support you. I will follow you wherever you go because I have learned that my home is not a place, it's you. I love you Paul. Always have, always will."

I started tearing up halfway through my vows, because I meant every word. Paul still had tears running down his face, but was smiling through them. George passed us some tissue and Paul and I laughed and took a moment to wipe our tears before he began his vows.

"For someone who writes love songs for a living, this was the hardest thing I have ever written. How can I describe what I feel for you in simple words? Anything I say will not be nearly adequate, but I will try my best. I have loved you since the day I met you, all it took was one touch of your hand and I was gone. When you left many people told me to forget you and to move on, that there were many other girls for me, but I knew they were wrong. Forgetting you would be like forgetting my own name, you are a part of me whether you are next to me or thousands of miles away. I am so thankful that we have been given the chance to be together again, and I promise to never waste this gift we have been given. I promise to take care of you and to do my best to be worthy of you. I love you, Anne. Always have, always will."

I was crying really hard by the end of his vows, and had to use several more tissues. Then came the "I Do's", but we were able to get through them without much trouble.

"You may now kiss the bride" the officiant said, and Paul proceeded to do just that. He cupped my face and kissed me tenderly. It was a short sweet kiss, made for public viewing.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please let me introduce you to Mr. & Mrs. Paul McCartney" the officiant said as we turned and proceeded down the aisle to the cheers of our friends and family.

After we got to the end of the aisle, Paul pulled me along into the house and shut the door and kissed me. This time the kiss was much longer and more passionate.