Chapter 23: Audition

Paul called me when they had settled into their hotel in London. They had gotten there much later than expected. There was bad weather and they had gotten lost temporarily. They seemed to be in high spirits, though.

"I wish you were here, luv. I miss..." There was suddenly a loud clanking like the phone had been dropped. I could hear giggles, then Paul saying "Shut up Lennon. Go bother George. I'm switching rooms, ya bastard" Then muffled sounds as he was picking up phone. "Sorry baby. I'm bunking with Lennon" he said in explanation.

"Well, that explains it all" I said laughing.

"As I was saying, before I was interrupted by that wanker. I miss you. I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight. I'm so bloody nervous. I think I could sleep if you were here"

"Don't be nervous, my love. You guys will be wonderful. I know everything will work out." I knew it would eventually, but I remembered reading that the first record company they tried out for turned them down. Something I knew they would regret in very short order. "I know what you mean about not sleeping though. I'm not even there & I'm not sure how much I'll sleep either. Especially in this cold bed without you"

We were a little pathetic, but we genuinely liked being together. Sure, we had our time apart. Me at school, Paul songwriting or performing. However, when we weren't doing those things we were together. We weren't always alone. In fact, we often hung out with friends especially the guys in the band. But, we were there together. So, even one night apart was difficult, as we had learned to rely on each other.

"Well, I had better let you go. So you can go get no sleep." I said after we had talked for about 30 minutes.

"Alright, luv. Dream of me. I'll try to dream of you, if not I'll just think of you in my T-shirt. Nothing else on, your legs..." he said. I knew where this was headed, so I interrupted him.

"Ok, buddy. You'd better stop there. I'm sure John will be back soon and you probably don't want to be starting something you can't finish. I love you!"

"Love you, baby. I'll see tomorrow night."

We said our goodbyes, and I tried to settle into sleep. I worried about him. I knew this rejection would hurt him.

Paul was home late the next night as promised.

"How was the audition?" I asked him, we were in bed.

"We were so bloody nervous. I think it went well, but we won't know for a few days"

"They would be absolute idiots to turn you guys down. If they do, you guys will find somewhere else that knows good music when they hear it." I said passionately, hoping to plant a few seeds so maybe the rejection won't be so devastating to him.

"Just think, your man could be a proper recording artist very soon. What will you do with me then?"

"I'll do my best to keep that already inflated head of yours the proper size" I said rubbing his soft head of dark hair. "No, you know I'll be so proud of you. I'm not looking forward to fending off more girls, though. Although, I can't blame them, can I? If you weren't already mine, I would probably be one of those crazy girls"

"No, you wouldn't. I recognized you the minute I saw you" he said, taking me back a little. Did he know? At my confused look he said "I mean I recognized you as the girl for me. Actually it was when we first met. We shook hands, and it felt like a shock. I'd never felt that before, and I haven't with anyone but you since. I still feel it with you at times, just a connection. I dunno really what it is, its you and me, I guess" he said pulling me closer and linking our hands.