Chapter 6

"Carlisle, she knows Bree," stated Esme as soon as they left Amelia's room. It was time for her afternoon physiotherapy.

"Bree, as in the girl who surrendered in Victoria's army?" responded Carlisle in shock.

"Yes. They grew up together. Amelia must be the "Mia" that Edward said to whom Bree was referring in her thoughts, the girl she wanted us to take care of."

"What else did you learn about her?"

"She is sick. She is dying and she knows it, and I think that she will refuse a transplant should she live long enough to receive one."

"Do you really think so?"

"Her spirit is breaking. It's a very hard fight. She started throwing up when I was with her. Apparently the bad coughing fits make her ill and she has them frequently. What sort of life is that for a child her age? Anyway, I don't think she made the link between us and Bree. She never mentioned it."

Carlisle sighed sadly. He felt bad for the young girl. He glanced at Esme and took her hand as they exited the hospital. Amelia was going to die alone. A discussion with Dr Sanders and Dr Anderson that morning had left him with the bitter truth. Her lungs were failing rapidly and their function had dropped to 25% over the course of the last couple of weeks. The latest lab results had finally given them some answers – she had a fungal infection superimposed on the bacterial infection. Her kidneys were coping for now, as was her liver but it would not be long before those gave in as well. She was likely to die within a year. They were going to break the news to her in the morning and Carlisle had asked if he could accompany them. They had surprisingly enough agreed, but on condition of Amelia's approval. Carlisle filled Esme in on the details on their drive home.

"She is going to die alone," stated Esme flatly.

"Yes."

"She will die without anyone to miss her. No family by her side, nothing."

"There is nothing we can do now, Esme. No one is going to foster her. She is not going to be leaving hospital any time soon."

"What if we adopted her, Carlisle? Fostered her even? Give her a home to live out her last days," Esme's voice was hopeful.

"Es, I'm still not sure that is the best idea."

"Why ever not, Carlisle?"

"We've had enough encounters with the Volturi to last a lifetime and beyond. The treaty we have with the Quileutes still stands. "

"Jacob allowed Bella to be turned into a vampire."

"Chalk and cheese."

They sat in silence for the rest of the way home. Esme wished she could speak to Edward, as her eldest son, he was her confidant and had helped her immensely when she was first turned. He always gave sound advice. Her phoned buzzed with a text from Alice.

We'll phone you in 15 minutes. A x.

She pressed the reply button and responded with a quick message of her own.

15 minutes later, she was having a chat with Nessie, who, once again, was giving her a blow by blow account of her day. Edward had played piano with her, and she had watched a film with Seth and Leah at Charlie's house. Edward chatted to her as well and she felt a lot better after her discussion with her son. At 6.45pm she stood up and grabbed the car keys.

"Where are you off to?" queried Carlisle in surprise.

"It's visiting hours at 7." Esme was still smarting.