Chapter 44

I don't generally recommend authors here on WattPad, I have a reading list for that (check it out by the way if you are looking for a good read). But I have just finished a beautifully-written Twilight fanfiction called 'Pinned but Fluttering' by the most talented CassandraLowery. If you have not read it yet, I highly recommend that you do so. I could not put it down. Thankfully it is our mid-semester break otherwise I would have had a difficult time trying to focus during class and clinics. 

---

On Friday morning, Carlisle and Esme made their way to the ICU as was fast becoming the routine. They had originally intended on being there before Amelia woke up, they both hated the idea that their 'baby girl' might wake up alone, especially seeing that it was her birthday after all. Their intentions were noble, but sadly for them, Amelia was already awake. They were greeted to the sound of her voice having a friendly banter with Alair when they entered the ICU. Carlisle and Esme sighed in relief, Amelia was clearly having a better day and had snapped out of her depressive state, at least for the time being.

"Come on, Alair. Please get them to remove the chest drain. I can't take this itchy, annoying, thorn in my side, literally and figuratively speaking," she cajoled, dragging out the last syllable.

"You keep that thorn in your side until your daddy says so," retorted Alair, bustling about the room.

"Aww come on bug!" begged Amelia, "it can be a birthday present from you to me."

"Nice try, Amelia Grace Theodore," huffed Alair. The pair giggled quietly.

"Good morning, bella Mia," greeted Esme, cheerfully bouncing into the room in an impression worthy of Alice.

"Morning Mom, Dad," she greeted, glancing up at her parents and breaking into a smile.

"Good to see you are back with us, Amelia. How are you feeling this morning?" queried Carlisle, immediately going to take a look in her file.

"I'm actually feeling pretty good today. Better than I have in a couple of months I must admit," replied Amelia honestly. It was true. She was feeling great for a change.

"Well that is wonderful to hear," said Carlisle, a genuine smile lighting up his face. Esme squealed and bounced towards her daughter, giving her a hug. Alair, on the other hand, glared at Carlisle, and snatched the file away from him.

"You go and wish your daughter a happy birthday, Carlisle Cullen. Stop being her doctor and be her father for a change, darn it," she rebuked quietly enough so that Amelia wouldn't hear them, exiting the room with the file in her hand.

"Happy birthday, Amelia," exclaimed Esme, still holding onto her daughter tightly.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart," echoed Carlisle, coming to stand on Amelia's other side and hugging her as well.

"Thank you, oh parental figures," came the muffled response. Esme snorted delicately and disentangled herself from her daughter, before presenting her with a cup of tea in a travel mug.

"For you," she said.

"The drink of the gods," commented Amelia, sighing happily as she took a sip of tea, "thank you, Mom. This hospital tea tastes even worse than at Rochester. I think Sam was replacing the teabags with something that actually tasted decent, although why she needed it is beyond me."

"That wouldn't surprise me," murmured Esme, "she had her own stash of coffee too."

"Guess what day it is?" Alice exclaimed, bursting into Amelia's room a split second later and startling the sickly teenager.