Chapter 29

Author's Note - Thank you to chantisweety for coming up with a new character for the story. If you haven't read her series, I highly recommend it - it's a Carlisle and Esme fic. The first book is called Idyllic Days :)

---

"Happy birthday, Mom!" exclaimed Amelia early on Tuesday morning. She grinned widely at her mother and bounced over to give her a hug. It was Esme's birthday, and Amelia was up and about, cheerfully making a big fuss of her mom, despite her exhaustion. She had not had an easy night and had been sick several times.

"Thanks sweetheart," smiled Esme, returning the hug.

"Here's your present," she said, picking up the gift that she had gotten for Esme shortly before they left Rochester, "Alice helped me to wrap it up. You can open it up now or later."

"I think I'll open it up now," laughed Esme, delighted at her daughter's enthusiasm.

"Hey guys, it's present opening time," Alice announced, herding everyone to the living room. The whole family migrated to the living room, which Alice had decorated appropriately. Emmett was grinning evilly. Edward was trying not to laugh, and failing miserably. Renesmee made a beeline for her grandmother, eager to be close to her. Rosalie and Jasper were bringing the presents into the room. Bella walked into the room a moment later with some breakfast for Renesmee and was trying to coax her into eating it. Amelia walked into the living room, carrying her tea cup and trying to lift the fog from her brain. Carlisle swept Esme off her feet, planting a big kiss on her lips. Amelia smiled as she observed the two of them. There was just something about their love that was so special to witness.

Eventually everyone was seated. Esme was seated on one of the couches, between Alice and a very enthusiastic Renesmee. Alice was clearly rubbing off on her. Rosalie and Emmet were on one of the other couches and next to them were Bella, Jasper and Edward. The last couch was occupied by Carlisle. Sitting next to him, and probably legally still asleep, was Amelia. She desperately drank her tea in an attempt at trying to stay awake. He snaked one arm around her frail body and held her gently in place. She smiled at him and rested her head on his shoulder. Esme glanced up and caught Carlisle's eye, smiling happily as she saw her husband and youngest daughter breaking through another barrier.

"Mine first!" hollered Alice, thrusting her present into Esme's hands. It was, unsurprisingly, a voucher for a clothing shop that Esme enjoyed frequenting. Rosalie gave her a spa voucher. From Jasper, she received an antique vase – a reminder of one of his and Emmett's wrestling match that had resulted in one of her vases breaking several weeks previously. She laughed out loud at that, amused. From Emmett, she received bedroom slippers.

"It seemed to be a very motherly gift!" he exclaimed in his defence when Esme had looked at him questioningly. The rest of the family looked at him, and burst out laughing.

"Mine next!" begged Renesmee, handing her grandmother her gift. Esme took it from her, thanking Renesmee as she did. She smiled down at her granddaughter and kissed her forehead.

"Why don't you open it for me?" she suggested. Renesmee's eyes brightened and she eagerly took the gift back and ripped open the giftwrap. Edward and Bella had framed one of Renesmee's numerous paintings for Esme – this one featured the two of them holding hands in front of the Cullen mansion. Esme was touched and made a great big fuss of the painting, delighting Renesmee no end.

Esme moved on to her gift from Edward and Bella, which was a cookbook – a long standing family joke of sorts – which catered specifically to Diabetics. Amelia straightened a little when she saw it, suddenly quite enthralled at the prospect of a cookbook dedicated entirely to her Diabetic needs, not that it was of any value to her as a Diabetic. Cystic Fibrosis required a higher calorie diet than average, whereas her Diabetes required a different diet. The result was simple, cater to the high calorie Cystic Fibrosis diet and manage the Diabetes with insulin. She glared at Jasper who grinned back and winked. She glared it him and refocused her attention to Esme.