Chapter 42

"Amelia, you need to relax!" commanded Carlisle, holding her face in his hands and trying to get her to focus on him. He had just arrived at her room. Amelia struggled to get out of his grip. Carlisle let go of her face, and gripped her shoulders, forcing her to look at him in an attempt at calming her down. It had the opposite effect. Amelia shrieked and started kicking. She had a surprising amount of strength in her for someone recovering from her ordeal. Carlisle was concerned that she would only further hurt herself if she didn't calm down. He hated to think that this episode may well end with a trip to the operating theatre again.

"Let me go!" she continued to shriek. Tears had started rolling down her face.

"Amelia, it's ok sweetheart. Calm down, you don't want to hurt yourself anymore!"

"Get me Diazepam! And can someone please tell me why she is so hysterical?" ordered Dr Westsmythe.

"Don't touch me! Please don't hurt me! No! Stop it! No!" she continued to thrash around. Carlisle was mystified. He kept an eye on Amelia's vital signs. She started coughing in between her spasms. She was going to pass out if they didn't sort her out soon. He caught a snippet of conversation between one of the ICU nurses and Dr Westsmythe.

"You did what?" he exclaimed. Everything clicked into place. Amelia was reacting badly because how the morphine situation was being handled. Her past has coming back to haunt her, as it often did when she was weak. In her eyes, everyone was out to get her. Everyone wanted to hurt her. Everyone, including her own father. The fact that she was isolated for her own health was irrelevant to her, all she saw was a group of people, predominantly men, who were holding her down and keeping her separated from the rest of the world.

"I want every last person out of this room. Bring Alair and Esme in here. The rest of you, get out of my daughter's room." Carlisle's words were controlled and deliberate, barely masking the fury which lurked beneath the surface. The staff did as they were told, hastily escaping from the room, and Carlisle's anger.

Esme entered, along with Alair. Esme put her hands to her face, heartbroken that her daughter was as upset as she was. Alair walked up to Amelia's IV and injected a benzodiazepine into Amelia's IV line to stop the anxiety, which was the cause of the hyperventilation.

"It's ok, sweetheart. Everything is alright, everything is going to be just fine. Hush Mia bug," soothed Alair, gently pushing Amelia's hair from her face. Amelia began to calm down. She coughed violently and sank back onto the pillows, exhausted. She was still sobbing, so was Esme.

"She's alright, Esme," said Alair, gently pushing Esme towards her daughter before exiting her room. Esme pulled herself together and hesitantly walked up to her daughter and gently put the oxygen mask over her mouth and nose, before kissing her forehead and resting her own against Amelia's. Amelia weakly lifted up her arm up and touched her mother's face in reassurance. Esme placed her own hand over Amelia's and closed her eyes, soothed by the gesture.

"Please don't leave me," whispered Amelia.

"Never," promised Esme, wrapping her arms around her daughter as best she could. Amelia groaned quietly in pain at the movement.

"Can Dad give you something for the pain? Please sweetheart."

"Okay," said Amelia in defeat. Esme turned to Carlisle, who had also vanished from the room. She could vaguely hear him telling off the ICU staff and insisting that she be removed from Isolation. Dr Westsmythe was backing him up. He was on the phone to Dr Anderson, who sounded like she was agreeing with them. There were aspects of Amelia's past that were best left buried, but being in isolation was triggering some of those memories.