Chapter 58

Author's Note
I have been debating long and hard about whether I should upload this chapter or completely rewrite it. It was difficult to write, and I wonder if it was a good idea to write it at all. I have thrown caution to the wind and will publish it as it stands. Please don't hate me for it. I left hints at Amelia's past throughout the book but this is probably the most in-depth it has ever gone, and will likely ever go. I think she has been bottling up her memories for too long and it is time  for her to let them go. It takes on a tone similar to Amelia and Carlisle's chat a few chapters back, so read with caution if you were upset by that chapter.
---

Shortly before dawn, Esme heard the sound of someone approaching the house. The person's footsteps gradually became more distinct. It was Carlisle. Esme felt a pang of relief. As annoyed as she was with him, she loved him dearly and always felt lighter when he was around. That being said, never had she heard him walk with such defeat in his step. He and Esme were the two vampires in the house who never particularly bothered with completing tasks at vampire speed, such as running up the stairs, opting to go for a more leisurely human pace. The exception of course was whenever Amelia was involved. Microseconds made all the difference in the world when someone was chronically ill.

She heard Carlisle pause as he reached the garden, stopping in his tracks. Esme suspected he was staring at Amelia's window and trying to brace himself for the fallout that was about to ensue. She heard him take a deep breath and slowly, wearily, trudge his way up the steps and enter the house. Leah had long since gone home. Esme didn't need Jasper to tell her that Carlisle was shattered. She could practically feel his anguish as he entered the house. Rosalie and Emmett were in their room, cuddling by the sounds of things. Jasper was in his, ready to intercept any problems and calm any frayed nerves. Amelia was still fast asleep in Esme's arms. She had had a very disrupted night of sleep, frequently waking up after being plagued by some or other nightmare.

Alice and Blythe were quietly chatting in the living room, apparently finalising a plan for the trip out to Seattle that was meant to take place that day. If it came to it, Esme would drive Amelia and Blythe there herself. Blythe was going to school until lunch time, before Esme would pick her up and the four of them would make the long trip out to Seattle. Alice and Blythe called out a soft greeting to Carlisle, as did the rest of Esme's children. He slowly made his way up the stairs and entered their room.

"Hello Esme," he whispered, hearing Amelia was still asleep.

"Hello Carlisle," she whispered in return, mindful not to disturb the sleeping teenager that was curled up next to her, the crown of her head lightly resting against Esme's hip, and one of her hands tightly gripping her mother's. Even in sleep, she had a strong enough grip that if Esme tried to detach her hand, she'd wake up. Carlisle sighed, and Esme heard him stripping off his clothes and turning on the shower. Already the scent of maple and leather, the scent so uniquely Carlisle, was wafting into the room. In spite of her irritation with him, she felt soothed by the familiar scent. Amelia was stirring, being the early riser she was. In spite of her rough night, which would ensure that most of the trip to Seattle was spent sleeping, she was cheerful when she snuggled deeper into the blankets, dragging her mom with her for some quality cuddle time.

"Your dad's home," stated Esme, hesitant to wreck the moment. Carlisle had turned off the water. Any moment now, he'd be dressed and ready for a discussion.

"Better get it over and done with then," murmured Amelia, in what she hoped was a tone of nonchalance. She didn't fool her mother. A knock sounded on the door and Amelia shuddered briefly as she observed the contrast between the soft tapping of the present, and the hammering of the previous day. Esme squeezed her shoulder reassuringly, before opening the door and allowing Carlisle in. She kissed her husband then left the room. This was something that the two of them needed to sort out in privacy, well, as much privacy as a family of vampires could ever hope to achieve. Amelia and Carlisle stared at each other awkwardly. Alice flitted into the room with a cup of tea and left it next to Amelia before departing the room, shutting the door firmly behind her.