Chapter 18

Amelia fell asleep about 15 minutes after they left the airport. Esme took it as an opportunity to phone Alice and let her know that they were safe and on their way home, not that she needed to be told anyway.

"She's asleep, and you are on your way home," said Alice as soon as she picked the phone.

"Yes Alice dear," giggled Esme, "I don't know why I bother anymore."

"You missed me, that's why. Anyway, on to more pressing matters. Rose and I think that we should give Mia some space. We're going to give you two time to give Mia a tour of the house, before the rest of us meet her. The rest of the family is out hunting and will go to Bella and Edward's house when they're done. Rose and I will decorate the house quickly while you guys are upstairs, so please take your time. I reckon give Mia her afternoon physio, then we have ample time to decorate."

"Maybe you guys can come and say hi before we take her upstairs? I think it's a good idea, but why on earth do you want to decorate the house?"

"Just the living room, I promise. We want to welcome our baby sister into the family."

"Ok-ay," said Esme, dragging out the last syllable, "is the house actually still standing? I can't wait to see what you have done to Amelia's bedroom."

"It looks amazing, Es. Oh, tell Carlisle to slow down, there's a speed camera up ahead. I told him not to speed, there's a human on board!" Alice groaned.

"Honestly, Alice," said Carlisle, shaking his head, "did you girls go hunting as well?"

"Yes, we just got back. Ok, well I'll see you soon then. Bye!"

They hung up, and Carlisle and Esme linked hands and the drive continued in companionable silence. After a couple of hours, a sleepy voice spoke from the back seat.

"Are we there yet?"

"We'll be there in 15 minutes, sweetheart. How are you feeling?" asked Carlisle.

"Ugh, okay I guess. I am just a bit tight-chested."

"I'll give you some physio and afternoon meds when we get home. Can you make it that far, or do you want to stop now?"

"You said we were 15 minutes off, right? Then I should last until we get to your house."

"It's yours too," said Esme, reaching into the backseat and linking her hand with Amelia's. Amelia gave it a small squeeze and coughed.

As they drove through Forks, Amelia stared out the window. Charlie flashed his lights as they drove past him in his police cruiser. Carlisle and Esme waved back. Soon enough, they were driving along the familiar winding road that was home to the Cullen family. Carlisle and Esme sighed in relief, glad to be home again. Carlisle pulled into the massive garage and into his usual parking spot.

"Whoa, that's a lot of cars," she said.

"That excludes Bella and Edward's cars," stated Carlisle, in a matter-of-fact tone. Amelia's eyes grew big. She said nothing, but unbuckled her seat belt and opened the door, dragging her portable concentrator with her as she did. She turned and found herself sandwiched between Alice and Rosalie, being hugged like they hadn't seen each other in a century.

"Hey guys," she greeted.

"Mia!" they both exclaimed, happy to see her. Amelia coughed and her sisters let her go.

"We'll take your stuff up to your room so long. Hi Carlisle and Emse. Carlisle, she needs her physio now, please take care of her."