Chapter 20

Author's Note:

I dedicate this chapter to two very special friends. Firstly to Alair, my first friend on WattPad. Thank you for allowing me to name a character after you, and for giving me a very accurate description of how your character looks (but also allowing me to embroider a bit). Secondly, to Danica, who also allowed me to borrow her name and came up with the highly creative surname of 'Westsmythe' which made me laugh at the time, and still does every time I have to type it out. I hope you guys like the chapter :)

---

Really, guys, you brought her into your bedroom?" asked Alice incredulously, leaning against the doorframe, observing her parents sitting in pyjamas, each reading a book with Amelia lying between them. It was close to 5am.

"Yes Alice, we did," replied Carlisle, not looking up from his book.

"She's 15 years old, not 15 days. She's big enough to sleep in her own bed."

"And I needed peace of mind. She's not at the hospital anymore where there are dozens of specialists on call every night," retorted Esme, glancing up from her book to meet her middle daughter's gaze head-on. Alice shrugged and sighed.

"Lay off them, Alice," said Rosalie, walking into the bedroom and sitting down on the edge of the bed, "I'd do the same if I were them."

Alice sighed and walked into the room as well, sitting down next to Rosalie. Jasper and Emmett came upstairs as well, worried that something was wrong with Amelia and not wanting to be left out of the action.

"Is she okay?" asked Emmett.

"She's fast asleep, quite peaceful actually," replied Jasper, picking up on Amelia's emotions, "I take it the nightmares are over?"

"Yes. It was just that night after she ripped out her IV," said Carlisle.

"How did you manage to find out about the abuse?" queried Emmett, wanting nothing more than to make all the bad things go away, "She seems to be a very private person."

"I told her about Charles," said Esme matter-of-factly. Emmett and Jasper stiffened, jaws clenched. Even after all these years, they still despised the man who had hurt the woman that they regarded as their mother, even although she and Edward had taken care of him many years before Emmett and Jasper had joined the coven.

"Carlisle, I think you should take Amelia with you to work later on," said Alice, wanting to defuse the situation. Carlisle had spoken of briefly popping in to work to sort things out for Monday. He had been away for three weeks after all.

" Why?" he queried.

"Dr Westsmythe will be in. His daughter, Daniella, is going to tag along. She's a sophomore as well, so at least Amelia will have a friend when she starts school on Monday. Also, it's Mia's birthday next month, so it will give us a chance to discuss plans for her birthday party."

"That's a great idea," gushed Esme, "then Amelia won't be so lonely on Monday. Daniella is a lovely child."

"Alright then Alice, what time do I go in?" asked Carlisle.

"9 o'clock."

Carlisle nodded, then directed his next question to Jasper. "How did it go yesterday, with meeting her new family?" He gestured at Amelia as he spoke.

"She was a mixture of excited and nervous. Nessie helped with that when she ran over to her. A moment of panic understandably when Nessie hugged her, I don't think she expected that. Relief when she realised that we liked her, and a resounding sense of awe, like she can't believe that she finally had a family who loves her and cares for her. She was trying to calm down when Emmett carried her to the garage, I think she just needs to get used to us all, but also acceptance, like she knows we aren't going to hurt her and as big as Emmett is, he just wants to protect her from all the evil in the world. "