Chapter 10

That evening, the Cullens and Samantha sat in Amelia's room, waiting for her to awaken.

"She'll be awake in two minutes," stated Alice. The small talk that Carlisle, Esme and Samantha had been having ceased immediately as everyone patiently waited for the youngest person in the room to wake up. She started coughing and woke herself up. Samantha held up some tissues for Amelia, which she took gratefully. She blinked a couple of times and took everyone in, before breaking into a tired smile.

"Evening everyone, sorry you all had to see that," she apologised.

"Don't be silly, sweetheart," scolded Esme with an amused smile gracing her porcelain face. Amelia chuckled wryly. A somewhat awkward silence fell, broken quickly by Carlisle.

"There is something we need to talk to you about, Amelia."

"Ok-ay?" This was phrased more as a question.

"Our family is slightly different from other families," tried Esme. Amelia nodded her head.

"We are vampires," said Carlisle, figuring it would be easier to leap right into it.

"Like Bree?"

"Yes, like Bree," confirmed Esme.

"So you are cold to touch – well I know you are, Esme - superhuman speed, superhuman strength and blood drinkers? But you guys only drink animal blood, right?"

"That about sums it up. We sparkle in the sunlight as well," stated Samantha. Amelia blinked stupidly at her, "Some of us have gifts as well. I can disguise myself as a human, which is why you didn't pick it up."

"I can see the future," said Alice.

"Jasper can control emotions and is also influenced by the emotions of the individuals around him. Edward can read minds, Renesmee can show you her thoughts and feelings with a simple touch, and Bella is a physical and mental shield, meaning that she can protect herself, and others, from certain cognitive gifts," explained Carlisle.

"The rest of us are normal, no gifts," smiled Rosalie.

"Except for being absolutely gorgeous and having an impeccable fashion sense," grinned Amelia.

"If I could blush right now, I would," laughed Rosalie, "you're not too bad looking yourself, Mia."

"Hey, what about my fashion sense, Amelia?" howled Alice. There was a beat of silence, then Amelia, Alice and Rosalie burst into laughter. Samantha, Esme and Carlisle glanced at each other, and started laughing as well. Amelia started coughing which effectively ended the amusement.

When they had all recovered, Amelia spoke. "Thank you for telling me the truth, I do appreciate it. If you had wanted to hurt me, you already would have done so, so I'm not scared or anything."

"There is a third option to your situation here, Amelia. If you would like, we can make you one of us when the time comes," said Carlisle, carefully. Amelia's head snapped up.

"I can be like you?" she asked hesitantly.

"Yes. You can be like us, but you will be free of your health problems. You will be able to breathe, actually you won't need to breathe at all, and live a life that you have been denied due to your poor health." Esme's eyes shone and she smiled as she spoke to Amelia.

"The transformation is painful, and for the first year or so, it will be different. You'd have to be kept away from humans to avoid harming them," said Samantha kindly.