Chapter 32

"I took the liberty of getting this for you," spoke Mr Mason, placing a folder on Amelia's desk. She was the first person in class on that dreary Friday morning. She glanced at it and opened it up.

"Thanks Mr Mason. I do appreciate this greatly," she replied. Mr Mason had collected her homework for the day for the classes that she would be missing. She had submitted her physics assignment a day early because of the appointment, but it had not occurred to her to ask for the work the previous day. Instead, she had asked her friends to collect it for her.

"You're welcome, Amelia. What time is your doctor's appointment?"

"It's at 10.30 with Dr Westsmythe. Afterwards, my mom and dad are leaving for Seattle for the weekend. My dad surprised my mom for her birthday, but she is not so keen on going I think."

"Why ever not?" asked Mr Mason.

"I'm not exactly the picture of perfect health, and she doesn't want to leave me alone. I think it's a good idea that she goes now before I get worse, but our time together is very limited and I think that she wants to make every last minute count," she replied wryly.

"That's one way of putting it. Are you anxious about today's appointment?"

"A little bit. It's only been two weeks since I left hospital so there should not be too much of a change, although this is me, so who knows?"

"But you can't continue like this," he stated.

"A transplant is my only option," she stated quietly, removing the nasal cannula and blowing her nose, before readjusting it. It was somewhat frustrating having to have this conversation once again.

"That's quite a big surgery to have to go through," he commented, frowning at her.

"It's too big a surgery for my body to handle. I'd hate for a healthy heart and a good set of lungs to go to waste like that."

"You took your name off the list, didn't you?" he said quietly, his heart breaking for the Cullen family. The dark-haired beauty sitting in front of him nodded sadly.

"What about your family?"

"Carlisle and Esme knew of my decision before they adopted me. I asked them many times if they were sure about the adoption, "she said, slightly defensively.

"How long do you think you have left?"

"I've been told that I'll be gone by Christmas. This semester will be my last one, if I manage to see it out at all. I won't be returning for Junior year."

Mr Mason inhaled deeply in surprise. The ringing of the school bell cut their conversation short, something for which Amelia was most grateful.

English and music passed quickly and before Amelia knew it, she was in the car and on her way to Forks Hospital with her mother. Carlisle and Samantha were meeting them there.

"How are you feeling about today's appointment?" queried Esme, glancing at her daughter.

"Kind of indifferent I guess," she replied thoughtfully, "it's pretty routine, right?"

"Your dad wants to intercept any problems now so that we can avoid you being in hospital on your birthday," said Esme without thinking.

"I'm going to be in hospital on my birthday again?" she asked in surprise. Esme groaned inwardly.

"I'm afraid so, sweetheart," she replied, "Alice has seen it happening."

Amelia nodded and stared out the window. Esme knew that she was fighting back tears.