Chapter 50

Sunday morning could not have arrived soon enough for the Cullen family. Esme was pacing outside the ICU by 8am, anxiously waiting to go inside and see her daughter. Carlisle was already inside, being updated on her progress by the ICU staff. Thanks to Blythe, the infection that was residing in Amelia's lungs was improving, her kidneys were handling the medication she was on better than they had been and her heart was beating stronger than it had been for a good couple of months.

Carlisle, Dr Westsmythe and Dr Anderson had agreed to keep Amelia for one last night to monitor her and if she held out, they would allow her to be discharged. Esme and Carlisle had refrained from telling her, in case it didn't materialise and she was disappointed. Finally, she was allowed in.

"Amelia can go home today," said Carlisle, a smile breaking out on his features as he opened up the door to the ICU and allowed her inside.

"Oh really? That is marvelous news!" exclaimed Esme in delight. ICU protocol wouldn't allow her inside but that didn't mean that she couldn't hear every word while she anxiously paced the corridor, waiting to be let in. She made a beeline for Amelia's room. The sickly teenager was still asleep, a tray of uneaten breakfast on her bedside table.

"She woke up at about 5am, and had her physio, but she has since fallen asleep. She has not yet eaten breakfast, Mrs Cullen," said Ellie, coming into the room and standing next to Esme, "She was so tired after physio. I really didn't have the heart to wake her up for breakfast."

"I'm quite happy to leave her to sleep as well. Is this sort of behaviour normal?"

"Sleeping a lot? Yes. Her body is going to tire a lot more easily now after this setback. She should perk up a bit once the worst of the pneumonia is over, but this is basically what her days will be like, lots of sleeping."

"Thank you for everything, Ellie. I do greatly appreciate how much you have cared for Amelia this week."

"She's a right darling, Mrs Cullen. It just makes me so sad that she's sick like this. Poor mite."

"It's horrible knowing that every setback she had limits our time further. We have nearly lost her so many times since January and it is quite scary."

"I wish I knew what to tell you, Mrs Cullen. She gave us quite a scare on Friday with her episode and then that horrid seizure. It is so fortunate that Dr Cullen picked up that it was a heart problem and not a misfire in her brain and got her the proper medicine. Anyway, shall we get Amelia ready for going home?"

"I think so. I'd prefer to give her some breakfast at home if that is alright with you."

"Fine with me, although let's also ask Amelia. I'd hate for her to become hypoglycaemic. Her blood sugar levels have been all over the show this week. I need to get Amelia's IVs ready for the week ahead. I shall be back in a few minutes." Ellie left the room. Esme could hear her picking up the phone and calling the pharmacy to check on the IV meds that Amelia would need to continue with for the week ahead. Esme took some fresh clothes out of the overnight bag that Alice had handed her that morning and put them on top of the bed, before waking the teenager.

"Amelia, sweetheart. Wakey wakey," she spoke softly, gently shaking the sleeping teenager.

"Mm?" groaned Amelia, eyes still shut.

"It's time to go home, Mia-bug," she stated, using the nickname that the Rochester staff had bestowed upon her. She wasn't really one to use nicknames, she thought her daughter's name was quite lovely and did not require abbreviating, no matter what her daughter tried to convince her.

"Home?" she whispered, eyes snapping open. She blinked a few times and her mother's face came into focus.

"Home," confirmed Esme, smiling widely. Amelia sat up and gently swung her legs over the side.